Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Luis R
    Saab(s)
    03' 9-5 Linear wagon

Cool Hello Saab family.

My name is Lou. I go by Saab95er in the forums. I have owned a 9-5 wagon with 2.3T (notice the larger T, its cause of the swap out) for almost 3 yrs now. I can honestly say that other than the already noticeable issues in the forums which I already have tackled I love my SAAB!! But I need help!!!!!!!!! I'm physically hurt and need my wagon back on the road. I have a NO start issue with my baby. I hear the starter turning and found no volts on solenoid side of starter. I have read the neutral safety powers the solenoid. Is this true? Could it keep my baby from cranking over? I have tried to shift thru the gear selector and cranked but to not have her start. Work completed...Head gasket, turbo rebuild of TD, new injectors, regulator and fuel pump, radiator, blower motor, sump drop and cleaned, sunroof drainage issue, PCV #6, replaced all vacuum hard lines with Silicone and fittings and minor repairs. I bought the car with 105,000 and put 50,000 on her. I miss driving her since she has sat since June completing other repairs. Before sump repair which was last the car ran fine, it got hot but didn't show signs of overheat on temp gauge so the excessive heat was caused by oil starvation hence the sump repair. Could the excessive heat being generated around the gear and extensive mileage cause it to fail? I did notice before sump cleaning that she would not shift into 3rd (rode in 2nd gear) as if she was limping home. Any thoughts and definitive answers are appreciated. I use to be a Yacht mechanic and mainly worked on MANS for 10 years of my life but have other diesel experience. Even the prototype engines. I have built 2/ 240SX's, a NASTY SBCRM 350 for a lifted S-10 at 22 yrs old. The truck was a BEAST and sat on 33's, best 1/4 mile 14.01 at 117 mph before motor rebuild...yes it was stock block but carbed and tuned in N.J.(which is like Cali for emissions) and passed the first inception of 2year inspection sticker. All the experience I have gained thru the years couldn't prepare me enough for the wonders of the SAAB and its engineering. But as we all have learned thru the forum...The SAAB family remains strong and ready to help each other. PEACE brothers.

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    Welcome to Saab World!

The starting problem with the 9-5 could be the ignition switch, which are known to fail on these cars and keep you stranded.
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Luis R
    Saab(s)
    03' 9-5 Linear wagon
    I also forgot to mention I pulled the ignition and cleaned and regreased the brass laser cut rectangles and springs. I removed all pieces in orderly fashion and its as smooth as babies bottom. The key works but starter spins and won't engage flywheel.