Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Luis R
    Saab(s)
    03' 9-5 Linear wagon

No crank scenario Saab 9-5 wagon 2.3T

Hello. I have a 99 9-5 wagon 2.3T with a No start issue. Like a dummy I posted in wrong area so here it is. Did all the necessary work, head gasket, turbo rebuild, PCV #6 etc... After those repairs I drove car to see smoke from under body. The motor wasn't overheating and I noticed she wouldn't shift into 3rd at all and rpm was decreased as if she went into limp mode. I have considered the heat to be from oil starvation, on sump inspection screen was 95% clooged. Thank god I caught that before I had a severe failure. But now after repair she won't start. The starter spins and there are no volts on solenoid side. I read neutral switch sends the volts over for final rotation and engagement. Is this true? I have tried shifting thru gears and starting with no success. Could NSS be done for? If you need more info please go to new members look for my post. I am VERY sure this is the issue but its cold outside and I'm physically impaired so I cannot wire trace volts all day. I will say I tried jumping out NSS at the 2 larger gauge black and white wires from NSS side of plug and shifted thru and cranked at same time...NO START!!!! Please help.

Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero 2.3t Wagon HO Manual
    You're saying the car is cranking but no fire? If you're at or over 100K miles, then I would suspect you have a dead fuel pump motor. Have you listened for the sound of the fuel pump when you hit the key? Also a bad CPS will stop normal communication with the fuel pump, also causing a no start. The NSS will of course cause what's going on, but it is far less common. You need to list more info about your car...Year, Mileage,...ect..
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero B235R
    Sport Wagon 2.3T HO Manual
    140,627 Miles

Luis R
    Saab(s)
    03' 9-5 Linear wagon
    I appreciate the troubleshoot but heres a list of what I have done. Head gasket with all engine gaskets or seals,injectors, fuel pump, fuel regulator, rebuilt a TD turbo and did swap, radiator, cleaned and reassembled key switch which does work, pcv#6, blower motor brush kit, and sunroof drainage issue. Also replaced all hard vac tubes with silicone and fittings. I had did the sump after a test drive when I found that engine rpm would not go up and trans wouldn't shift into 3rd. Thats wen I dropped the sump to find the pickup was clogged a good 90%. I feel the oil starvation created excessive engine heat for oil...not the coolant side overheating which went into limp mode which in turn fried the neutral safety switch with the 150k plus in mileage. Starter SPINS when engaged by key but will not engage the flywheel in trans. I have shifted thru the gear selector and cranked and still have NO start or full cranking of motor. Solenoid side of starter gets no volts from which I read comes from NSS.

Luis R
    Saab(s)
    03' 9-5 Linear wagon
    Is this true and is this my issue with no full starter engagement? I have repalced CPS long before all the work but it doesn't control cranking just position relative to. I had jumped out the 2 larger gauge black and white wires on NSS side of harness and still NO start but will spin even when shifting and turning key. I physically have limits and can't trace wires all day long, but I will say the throttle body IS NOT in limp mode for I verified that also with the symptoms she had on test drive before sump drop. I had starter tested and its fine also the new battery was load tested after sitting in cold for a week or so and its good. If you know of 1st hand knowledge that this is my issue than its appreciated but if you feel something else is the cause PLEASE let me know.