Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Scott Hutchings
    Too much to do, no time! SaabScott's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2009 9-7X 5.3i

Looking at a Saab 9-7X

Ok, I guess I will just have to bite the bullet and actually buy a 9-7X one of these days ...

I've got a week left in my current job before moving on to another. This one will require the use of my own vehicle (I've had the ability to use a company mini-van where I am now) and over the next couple of months, I expect my travel to grow quite a bit. I don't think doing this in the 1993 900S is a good plan. The car has been fine, but putting that many miles on a 20 year old car just doesn't seem smart to me.

So I'm looking down the road ... towards a 9-7X again.

There is one available right now, a 2007 5.3i. It has 260,000 kms on it and comes with "new winter tires". The mileage is high and if it were say, another 9-5, I wouldn't worry about it at all. But I don't know the ins and outs of the 9-7X. Also, I'm assuming the comment about tires means that it doesn't have all seasons with it. I was told it is in great condition, but I don't know what to look for ...

Anyone? Thoughts? Is the mileage too high or are they just as rock solid as a "real" Saab? Should I snap this up as the only person who would consider it? Or should I forget it and go after something with lower mileage?
    President, The Saab Club of Canada
    www.SaabClub.ca

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    The 5.3 is a pretty solid engine.

I would guess that the interior might have less wiggles and creaks than your typical Saab, but who knows about stuff like the suspension and all that.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
    I would guess that the interior might have less wiggles and creaks than your typical Saab...
    I resent that remark! American trucks and SUVs have some of the creakiest interiors when old and with high mileage. I'd imagine the 9-7x to follow on that proud American tradition.
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    My 2006 Saab 9-3 with 10K miles had more creaks and rattles than my Trailblazer at 80K miles. The Trailblazer had a much softer suspension which probably prevented most shakes and rattles to the interior. European-tuned sport suspension and many American roads don't mix that well and sometimes I wish I would have an American Saab.

Expect to have 30% lower fuel mileage in a 9-7X compared to a 9-5 but also have a AWD and a better tow vehicle. Too bad they didn't make it a 4WD transmission with Lo/Hi settings.

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    My 2006 Saab 9-3 with 10K miles had more creaks and rattles than my Trailblazer at 80K miles. .
    My 2005 9-3 doesn't have creaks and rattles. I may be lucky. Or perhaps, it's due to the mild weather that I drive the car. It has seen snow only a few times and is rarely driven into potholes. It does have the rear groan during cold weather than gets better as the car warms up and is driven.

In contrast, my 1990 900 had rattles within a year and had it before 1992. I remember that year because took it to a well respected mechanic (Leo at Nordic Motorwerks in Louisville) before I moved.

Scott Hutchings
    Saab(s)
    2009 9-7X 5.3i
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    Expect to have 30% lower fuel mileage in a 9-7X compared to a 9-5 but also have a AWD and a better tow vehicle. Too bad they didn't make it a 4WD transmission with Lo/Hi settings.

Should be on par with the C900S then! ;-)
    www.SaabClub.ca

Tim Schlose
    Saab(s)
    2007 9,3 Aero S/C
    I had a 2006 9.7X with the V8 and over the first 30K miles I had a few issues all covered by SAAB, the most egregious was air going out at 30K on a trip in the summer to Scottsdale, exterior & interior was hovering around 120 F. Check this forum;

Trailvoy.com - The Chevy Trailblazer and GMC Envoy Enthusiast Site

for problems associated with these series of cars. The family across have both the Trailblazer 4.2 and a SS (6 litre). My 9.7X was a better constructed and better sport SUV, handling and ride is very different, more European Gas mileage was between 18 -20 mpg (American Gallon)

Scott Hutchings
    Saab(s)
    2009 9-7X 5.3i
    Quote Originally Posted by Abarth View Post
    I had a 2006 9.7X with the V8 and over the first 30K miles I had a few issues all covered by SAAB, the most egregious was air going out at 30K on a trip in the summer to Scottsdale, exterior & interior was hovering around 120 F. Check this forum;

Trailvoy.com - The Chevy Trailblazer and GMC Envoy Enthusiast Site

for problems associated with these series of cars. The family across have both the Trailblazer 4.2 and a SS (6 litre). My 9.7X was a better constructed and better sport SUV, handling and ride is very different, more European Gas mileage was between 18 -20 mpg (American Gallon)

Thanks bud ... I've already been there and finally got some action happening on a thread I started.
    www.SaabClub.ca

Tim Schlose
    Saab(s)
    2007 9,3 Aero S/C
    Scott,

You should look for a AERO with the 6.0 litre engine, very rare and very fast, 0-60 in under 6 seconds.

From Wiki:
    Aero - For 2008 a new high performance variant was added using the 390 horsepower (291 kW) 6.0L GM Small-Block LS2 also found in the Chevrolet Trailblazer SS, featuring 20 inch wheels, a heavy-duty automatic transmission and Aero-embroidered leather-appointed seats and floormats. Saab claimed that the 9-7X Aero could go from 0 to 60 mph in under 6 seconds.

Arc (later renamed 5.3i) - Featured the 300 horsepower (224 kW) Vortec LH6 V8 engine with six-spoke wheels and added xenon HID headlamps with high-pressure washers and adjustable pedals. The 5.3 litre V8 engine gained Displacement on Demand in 2006.Recalls

[FONT=sans-serif]General Motors and Isuzu are recalling more than 258,000 SUVs in the U.S. and Canada to fix short-circuits in power window and door lock switches that can cause fires. The recall covers Chevrolet TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy, Buick Rainier, Isuzu Ascender and Saab 9-7X SUVs from the 2006 and 2007 model years. The SUVs were sold or registered in 20 U.S. states, Washington, D.C., and Canada, where salt and other chemicals are used to clear roads in the winter.

Tim[/FONT]

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Quote Originally Posted by Abarth View Post
    Scott,

You should look for a AERO with the 6.0 litre engine, very rare and very fast, 0-60 in under 6 seconds.
    LS2
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig