Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-3 SS TiD
    I have now ordered BA S35 (from OnlineCarStereo, they are indeed difficult to find here in Europe, and it seems they have been discontinued).
    I have also ordered the loopback connector. I have seen (on the etadyne pages) that the SAAB dealer may need to do some programming when removing the CD unit and installing the loopback connector. Did you do any programming when removing the CD unit? I'm thinking that I will do the wiring first, and if no error messages appear, no programming is necessary.
    I'm thinking to go with 6x9 JBL GTO-938 in the back. I haven't checked how they will fit, but I guess that shouldn't be a problem.
    BTW, the DAB antenna was included with the radio (although also the manual says I need to purchase separately). I just installed it in a Golf I have, and it works great.
    Excited to see how it will turn out in the SAAB when all parts arrive :-)

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9.3 ss TiD 2006 - 180 hp
    There is no need to use Tech2 if you remove the cd.
    Just install the loopback.

Saab(s)
    9-3 2007

Cd removal and single din replacement

Please can you walk me through the wiring from the aftermarket stereo to the ICM as i don't know where to plug the power and ground and the speakers wires as well
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Willy Vercruyssen View Post
    This is what I did.
    Take out the cd player and insert a standard radio. It will fit perfectly into the cd holder.

The cd unit is connected via a fiber optic loop (2 wires - 1 in, 1 out) to the rest of the system.
    This loop must not be broken, hence you need to get a loopback to connect the 2 wires together and keep the loop closed.
    I got mine from the Saab dealer for around 10 eur (8 dollar)
    This is the one I used (but there are many other): Audio Products
    Plug the fiber optics to each site of the loopback connecter and you're done. (10 secs)

Next, I rerouted the speaker wires and antenna from then ICM1 to the new radio.
    Make sure the radio gets its power, and we have music !

Now, there is 1 problem.
    The ICM also provides the system sounds (warnings, indicators etc)
    I have the 7 speaker system (3 front, 2 doors, 2 back), so I hooked up the front central speaker to the left front ICM1 output. (or right, it does not matter)
    If you do not have the middle speaker, buy a really cheap one.

As for the rest, I put some quality 6*9 inch speakers in the back and upgraded the left/right front speakers, giving a superb sound.
    The 2 door speakers are no longer used.

Well prepared, this took about 2 hours of work.
    As for the ipod connectivity, this depends on the radio you are using - some have it, some don't

And yes, you loose the steering wheel controls, but for me that did not match up against the far better sound quality.

Hope this helps.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9.3 ss TiD 2006 - 180 hp
    This is how the wiring is done on the back of the ICM - you only need to look at connector A.
    You need to redirect these wires to your aftermarket radio.
    Refer to the documentation of that radio how the wiring needs to be done.
    Remember that the ICM will still need power (pins 12 and 15/16)Name:  Knipsel2.jpg
Views: 2179
Size:  43.4 KB

Saab(s)
    9-3 2007

Thank u

Willy thank u for all ur help and fast reply
    i will install it this week
    I was wondering in order for the aftermarket to work i have to be on cd mode and the steering wheel controles will still work and the car radio as well or not
    I mean will the aftermarket stereo be acting as the cd player or will be working independently and do i still beed to connect the fiberoptical wires togather
    Thank u
    This is how the wiring is done on the back of the ICM - you only need to look at connector A.
    You need to redirect these wires to your aftermarket radio.
    Refer to the documentation of that radio how the wiring needs to be done.
    Remember that the ICM will still need power (pins 12 and 15/16)Name:  Knipsel2.jpg
Views: 2179
Size:  43.4 KB

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9.3 ss TiD 2006 - 180 hp
    Sorry to say that the steering wheel controls will no longer work.
    The aftermarket radio will be working independently
    Yes , you need to connect the fiber optics from the cd player, otherwise the ICM will no longer work.
    I know, its silly, but thats the way it is i'm afraid.

Saab(s)
    9-3 2007
    i am thinking of connecting it with our removing the CD maybe that way everything else might still work
    i will test it and feed u back

Sorry to say that the steering wheel controls will no longer work.
    The aftermarket radio will be working independently
    Yes , you need to connect the fiber optics from the cd player, otherwise the ICM will no longer work.
    I know, its silly, but thats the way it is i'm afraid.

Saab(s)
    Saab-93 1.9Tid
    It´s necessary touch in the ICM1 ("radio" showed were above ACC climatic control ) ?

I thinght that have some confusion here...ICM/ICM1 or alone EHU (entretement head unit) ?
    And wend you tell "Remember that the ICM will still need power (pins 12 and 15/16)" it means that the EHU must continued be supplyed right?
    And the front central speaker must be connected to one of the EHU channel out right?

Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-3 Linear 2.0t
    I am very sorry for reviving an old thread. I have been looking for a week and have all parts coming. I have a few questions i can really use some help with. I read the AMP is what filters the signal to the speakers. I also read on another forum that the stock stereo is what filters the signal. Did you run new wires to every speaker or just use the existing wires and amps? I have a 2003 9-3 with 7 speaker system (USA if that makes any difference). I would really like to change dash with 3.5" kickers and do 6x9 in back. I just dont know the exact wiring for the best results. I don't want to buy the wrong speakers if i need anything specific. I also dont want to cut the stock wires from factory harness and then decided to run new wires (if i really need to bypass amps). Thank you for your help!