Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Saab(s)
    2003 Linear

Cd removal and single din replacement

Has any body done this mod? and if so can you post a walk through? I am interested in bluetooth an iPod connectivity

Tim Schlose
    Saab(s)
    2007 9,3 Aero S/C
    There are plenty of upgrades for your early model on net. The real problem in your car is the fiber optic connections SAAB used till the 2007 models. The picture you provided looks to have a aftermarket head unit with a iPod connection.

Tim

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    The original head unit in the 2003 - 2006 9-3 controls more functions besides audio. With adding an aftermarket radio like this, I think they'll leave the original head unit alone and rewire with new speakers and amplifiers. It's not an easy plug-and-play unfortunately.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9.3 ss TiD 2006 - 180 hp
    This is what I did.
    Take out the cd player and insert a standard radio. It will fit perfectly into the cd holder.

The cd unit is connected via a fiber optic loop (2 wires - 1 in, 1 out) to the rest of the system.
    This loop must not be broken, hence you need to get a loopback to connect the 2 wires together and keep the loop closed.
    I got mine from the Saab dealer for around 10 eur (8 dollar)
    This is the one I used (but there are many other): Audio Products
    Plug the fiber optics to each site of the loopback connecter and you're done. (10 secs)

Next, I rerouted the speaker wires and antenna from then ICM1 to the new radio.
    Make sure the radio gets its power, and we have music !

Now, there is 1 problem.
    The ICM also provides the system sounds (warnings, indicators etc)
    I have the 7 speaker system (3 front, 2 doors, 2 back), so I hooked up the front central speaker to the left front ICM1 output. (or right, it does not matter)
    If you do not have the middle speaker, buy a really cheap one.

As for the rest, I put some quality 6*9 inch speakers in the back and upgraded the left/right front speakers, giving a superb sound.
    The 2 door speakers are no longer used.

Well prepared, this took about 2 hours of work.
    As for the ipod connectivity, this depends on the radio you are using - some have it, some don't

And yes, you loose the steering wheel controls, but for me that did not match up against the far better sound quality.

Hope this helps.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-3 SS TiD
    Thanks for the good info about possible aftermarket install, Willy!

I have just bought a Pioneer 2 DIN unit (AVH-X3500DAB with bluetooth handsfree) which I wanted to install where the main audio control unit is located. I did not read the info on this site about the extra functions apart from audio that the original head unit provides, I just followed the recommendations from the dealer... I also purchased speakers to get better sound. All in all I wanted to get better sound, bluetooth handsfree and streaming with this upgrade.

Now, it seems to me I must leave the main audio control unit where it is, and install a single DIN where the CD player is located. Not possible to find space for the 2 DIN unit.
    Is there any adaptor available to fit an aftermarket unit nicely within the cone shaped dashboard where the CD-player originally is located (to avoid the triangle looking gaps on each side of the aftermarket unit)?
    Does the original head unit provide sound for the parking sensor? If so, I will definetely keep it. If not, I'm considering ditching it. I will probably miss some sounds, and also the clock RDS adjust, which is handy since the clock quickly is ahead of its time..
    Could removal of the original head unit cause any problems / unwanted behavior apart from the missing sounds?

The audio dealer I used also recommended a speaker upgrade from JBL (GTO609C) which seems to be for the doors + tweeters. I guess the tweeters could be mounted in the dash. From what I have read on this forum now, it seems the typical 9-3 speaker upgrade is the Boston Acoustics S35 in the dash. Would these speakers do a decent job alone in the front, i.e. OK to skip any door speakers? And would I need a rear speaker upgrade if I say I don't need the "boom" from big speakers? My focus is to achieve clear sound in the front seats without spending too much money.
    Thankful for any advice.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9.3 ss TiD 2006 - 180 hp
    For a 2din, the original unit will have to go.
    This unit not just controls sound (yes also the parking sensors) but has other functions as well.
    Unless you are adventurous, removing it is not the way to go.

I am not aware of any aftermarket dashboard adapters – that will be a do-it-yourself

As front speakers I use the well known BA S35 – fits perfect and produces good sound (for a small speaker)
    If however you want some ‘bass’, (and I don’t mean ‘boom’) you cannot do without a decent 6*9 in the back. The cheap original speakers just will not do.
    You could maybe try and use the door speakers instead.
    If that meets your requirements, you’ll save some money.
    The wiring will be a bit more complex though, as the wires for the door start under the driver’s seat.
    Of course, sound is very personal.
    I would say, start with the BA’s and make up your mind if you need additional speakers in the back.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-3 SS TiD
    Thanks for your quick reply!

I will try to upgrade speakers and leave the audio unit as is.

Talked to the audio dealer, and it seems Boston Acoustics is difficult to get hold of here in Norway. I have seen them on eBay and Amazon though. The dealer still recommends the GTO609c which I have bought. This set is a tweeter which would sit in the dash and a 6.5" which would sit in the doors, providing (some) bass and midtone. The dealer means this will give a "stronger" sound in the front than only with 3.5" speakers in the dash.
    The question is - do I trust the dealer? Any experience with 6.5" in the doors + tweeter in the dash?
    By the way, I have the ICM2, so I already have sound in the doors. I therefore plan to just throw out the old speakers and fit the new ones. No new wiring.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9.3 ss TiD 2006 - 180 hp
    Ok, if I understand correctly, you plan to keep the existing amps and just upgrade the speakers.

If you ask me, using the JBL’s might not be a good idea:

You must know that none of the amps produces a full frequencies range
    Amp1 (dashboard) only produces mid/high and amp2 (under seat) only low.
    Replacing the door speakers with the JBL will probably result in better bass, so far so good.
    However, the important mid range will still be reproduced by the rubbish Saab speakers.
    Plus you will have to drill a hole in the dashboard to put the tweeters in.
    If you thought of replacing the existing front speakers with the tweeters, you loose the mid range all together – not a good idea.

Main reason why I went for a replacement radio, to have a full sound from all speakers.

Anyway, if you decide to put new door speakers, this video might help

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-3 SS TiD
    OK, thanks for good info! I did not know the amps did not produce full frequency range. Then I will go with your solution.
    New aftermarket unit (Pioneer DEH-X8500DAB).
    New 3.5" speakers in dash. Should I go for the BA S35 also with aftermarket stereo?
    New 6x9" in the back. I would like speakers which do not steal too much from the trunk, since I often need a lot of trunk space. Any advice on which speaker to go for?
    And I will skip the door speakers.
    Thanks again for good guidance!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9.3 ss TiD 2006 - 180 hp
    I‘m very satisfied with my BA speakers, but surely there are others just as good.
    Just keep in mind that the depth for the speakers is limited. Maybe take an old speaker with you when shopping for new ones.
    Plenty of space for the 6*9 in the back. Pick one which is not too bulky.
    You don’t need 300W, so that should not be a problem.
    Don't know the exact type by heart, but I have mid-priced JBL's in the back.

Nice radio, the Pioneer. Keep in mind that if you want to use DAB (my Blaupunkt also has DAB), you will need a separate antenna for this.
    The standard FM antenna will not work.