Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1988 900t convertible

Is this a disaster ?.

Hi everyone, I am a new member living up in the frozen Cariboo. Just yesterday I opened my trunk only to discover that I had left my documents wallet inside all through winter, the result is black mold ruining my owners manual, service book and audio equipment manual. Whilst still readable they have been ruined for car show purposes. Is it possible to obtain replacements. The car was purchased in Vancouver on the 11th of March 1988 from MCL Motor cars of Burrard st Vancouver, and the salesman's name was Peter Chirko.
    The vehicle in question is a 900t 16 valve convertible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Best Regards to all, Robert.

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    Yes, this is a disaster. I accidentally got water on my sales brochure so I mine is no longer in mint condition.

Can you put jars of silica gel in the trunk to absorb water? If mold grew, then it can also grow on the carpet. Take the moldy owner's manual as a warning to get rid of moisture elsewhere. Maybe fold down the seat so air can circulate? Check to see that there is no water in the spare tire well. Water can collect here in a classic 900. If so, it might be leaking in from the rectangular plastic cover behind the rear bumper on the right side (left=driver's side in Canada)

Whenever a 1988 Saab goes for sale, try to buy the owner's manual. If it means a lot to you, buy the entire car. In the mean time, maybe try to kill the mold by baking the owner's manual in the oven, but not too hot, not too long, and always supervise the baking.