Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Jose Mateos
    it is what it is...... josemateos's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 Linear/TDO4 swap Stg 2

Are you supposed to use tube gasket sealer on valve cover? 2.3t

I recently replaced my valve cover gasket and I'm starting to notice oil is leaking by the half moons and also in a couple other spots....it doesn't seem to be that bad but there is quite a bit of oil that is dripping onto my exhaust running down the pan and really bothering me. I did the cylinder bolts at the same time as the head gasket...this is all on 2001.5 9-5. I didn't replace them I reused them. I've since bought a new set of cylinder head bolts, a new valve cover gasket (I know they say there reusalbe but it was free from eEuro). While on the phone the guy from eEuro stated I was supposed to use a gasket sealer around the half moons and on the corners on the valve cover but I didn't see that listed in the WIS in the DIY section here. Anyhow, this weekend I'm going to replace the valve cover gaskets and the bolts. Next thing on my list if this doesn't work is the oil pressure sensor as I've heard this is an issue as well on MY01 and can cause oil to leak down by the plug, which is where I'm seeing alot of my oil leaking. I already had Saab Dr install the PCV#6 update but I'm going to check it and was also wondering if there is a walkthru of how to test the whole system to make sure all check valves and tubes are okay.

A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS
    1. So have you heard of using tube gasket sealer on valve cover?

2. Is there something online that has a good explanation of testing the PCV to make sure it's working properly

3. Have you heard of a lot of oil pressure sensors going bad?

4.Is there anything else I should do while replacing cylinder head bolts?

5. Do you think retorquing the cylinder head bolts could be causing the head gasket to leak now? I torqued and retorqued one at a time per specs in the WIS writeup?

6. I've read and written several threads on this but I have a small amount of smoke on startup...the longer I let it sit the worse it is, but what I can't figure out is that on short trips there is MUCH more smoke than if I drive far....i.e. I drive 30 miles to work let it sit several hrs and I only see a very very minimal amount of smoke (unnoticable to most) as to where I drive 2 miles to lunch and back, it barely warms up, wait 4 hrs and there is much much more smoke...my 1st thought was valve guide seals...I've been told they dont' really go out in Saabs. Next thought was turbo as my car has 140K and I'm unsure if its the original turbo, BUT from what the Saab Dr said was they opened the turbo up looked inside and it was crystal clean? They say it isn't the turbo because it would be dirty? Any ideas on this?

Already dropped oil pan and updated PCV, although I need to test the PCV so instructions would be great

6.THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
    Saabfisticated people aren't just smart.....they're fast

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    I did not read your post - just skimmed it & the heading.

Answer - not really. New Gasket Reccomended - but a THIN layer of Anerobic Sealer works great. Avoid using silicone or RTV's on Saab's. It tends to collect @ the oil pick up screen and cause engine failure.

Using a dab here or there is one thing - just don't seal your engine with the stuff.

COUPLE OF QUESTIONS
    1. So have you heard of using tube gasket sealer on valve cover?

2. Is there something online that has a good explanation of testing the PCV to make sure it's working properly

3. Have you heard of a lot of oil pressure sensors going bad?

4.Is there anything else I should do while replacing cylinder head bolts?

5. Do you think retorquing the cylinder head bolts could be causing the head gasket to leak now? I torqued and retorqued one at a time per specs in the WIS writeup?
    #2 - Version #6 Kit
    #3 - yeah, they leak and require replacement often. Get a OEM one - most of the aftermarket ones are junk and the crsh seals are not correct.
    #4 - why are you replacing head bolts?
    #5 - No - if it was bad enough before a retorque will buy you some time, but not make it worse if done correctly.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Jose Mateos
    it is what it is...... josemateos's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 Linear/TDO4 swap Stg 2
    So no comment on the smoking issue I mentioned in my original thread?

So is there an article on here explaining how to test the PCV system?

So a little gasket sealer on valve cover is OK....I was told to use around half moon and on corners...

replacing cylinder head bolts because I heard the originals had a wax coating causing them to fail, also because it'll be easy while I'm doing vavle cover gasket.

I'm hoping it's the oil pressure sensor that's causing the leak now...guess I'll see after I replace the valve cover.
    Saabfisticated people aren't just smart.....they're fast