Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-3 convertible

Creaky suspension, cold engine

Seeking a more knowledgeable POV than my own on this problem... which is to say any knowledge at all.

My '04 9-3 vert has a creaky front suspension. Rolling over any parking lot speed bump -- even at just 3 mph -- will cause a creaking noise. But here's the strange part... I've noticed far more creakiness over bumps when the engine is cold... like it has been most every morning this winter here in Connecticut. Once the engine warms up the same bumps cause no creaks or much quieter ones.

Is this problem a loose bolt, worn out shocks, or perhaps something with the engine(!) requiring more technical expertise? I'm debating whether this deserves a special trip to a Saab dealer (non-warranty work obviously) or could a simple trip to my nearby "Monster Joe's" mechanic handle it just as well?

Did I already mention I have absolutely no knowledge? Any assistance appreciated!
    [FONT=verdana]Never met a SAAB I didn't like. [/FONT]

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    06 Saab 9-3 Aero
    Possibly worn shocks, engine mount, or bad bushings.
    Any certified garage will know how to go over these items, especially if mentioned specifically.

I have the same problem, speed bumps near the house when cold. 70k miles on mine. Planning a visit to a SAAB shop this spring.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Extremely common noise. What is causing this is the Anti-Roll Bar - or Sway Bar bushings. You have 3 options;
    1) Have new bushings fitted
    2) Have the old bushings removed and lubricated with a special grease
    3) Learn to accept it and live with it

There is nothing wrong usually with the condition of the bushings aside from age and the wear of the contact surface is no longer the same as it once was. Older 9-3 and 9-5 cars can also develop this condition too - but it's far more common in 9-3 Sport Sedan via 2003-2011. Also note there are 2 different size sway bars fitted so there is 2 different sway bar bushings.

There is another noise which these cars also can develope which is a at any speed/temperature - a rattle like noise from the dash area. Sometimes it is more focus on one side then the other. This has been found to be the strut mounts. They are not always bad either - but need a spray of silicone or other lubricant into the mount itself to quiet them down. I have replaced them in the past b/c they get noisy again in a short period.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab(s)
    2004 9-3 convertible
    Mine was caused by the sway bar bushings. I just had it fixed earlier this week. Let's see how long it stays quiet.
    [FONT=verdana]Never met a SAAB I didn't like. [/FONT]

Thanks for the info. If I wasn't replacing a squeaky FIAT I'd let it slide!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1997 9000 CS(sold), 2003 9-3SS, 2001 9-3 Viggen(Sold...then re-bought :D)
    but just for insurance do inspect your front struts and coil springs.. in the last year i've seen quiet a few 03-04's on dealer lots with a bad passenger side struts and broken springs. i think they might have even put out a tsb for them. i bought my 9-3SS in october of 2010 and i had to replace them within my first 2 weeks of ownership.

Jeffrey
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    2003 - 2006 9-3's are still being covered by the special coverage policy on the front coil springs up to 120,000 miles.

FYI if one is broken - they other is likely too or about to be

You get more of a rattle/clunk noise for springs and upper mounts. Creeking is more the bushings.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1997 9000 CS(sold), 2003 9-3SS, 2001 9-3 Viggen(Sold...then re-bought :D)
    see i had a feeling there was some kinda recall... yeah i second you with the bushings. just those things to look at while your looking for your problem.

Jeffrey
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by notanothersaabstory View Post
    see i had a feeling there was some kinda recall... .
    http://saabworld.net/f146/special-co...15917-a-28109/