Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion

The Irene Thread

With the hurricane nearly gone from the eastern USA, I thought maybe some SW members might have interesting stories or photos. I spent my hurricane in-transit, in sleepy Middlebury VT. The worst that happened to me was a bit of water got through the weather stripping to my hatchback, getting one of my cardboard moving boxes wet. During the thick of the storm, I drove a friend's NG900 (snow tires are great for hydroplaning!) up to a vineyard to do some wine tasting and hurricane exploration.

Here's a video I took of a flooded Vermont thoroughfare.

Anybody else got any neat stories, pictures or video relating to Hurricane Irene?
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    It was cloudy for me... about it.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Jay
    Saab(s)
    07 93 SC Aero 6spd
    I saw video and pictures from all over the east and northeast. Looks like the flooding was the worst part of the storm for most of the northeast. I heard from my cousin in Norfolk, no power but thats about it.

By contrast, it was a beautiful weekend here in Cincinnati.

Hope everyone is OK and no one had any property damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    Note to new members: choose your user name carefully because it will stick with you for the rest of your forum life.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    It was not even a hurricane, as soon as it hit shore it lost velocity and got downgraded to a tropical storm. That was like in Florida.

This was a large storm and of longer than usual duration. I have been through a few hurricanes and lost two friends and in the Pacific, a typhoon or two but I kept waiting for the hurricane.

It never came, wind and water and more wind and water .... and it was doing the damage slowly. A hurricane is scary stuff and this was a yawner to a point "fear factor" wise .... a good thing because I don't need the terror of a real storm so I sure ain't complaining. Low areas along the rivers were hit hard of course.

The good news was that used generator I bought 20 years ago really paid off, not like in winter where it really earns it's keep, but at least I could watch movies since the cable and net was down.

So we were without power or stuff for about 6 days.

Having a generator has always been a "peace of mind" thing and that old Honda 5k has been doing a great job but with the price of gas, it cost me almost $150 to run it all week, I would look at the "Genrac" natural gas or propane that you can get installed now for about $3,000. Making sure you have fuel and the cost of it today my gut tells me that over time the NG types win out in terms of cost and convenience. 10 years ago they were only offering NG in the "whole house" versions for $7,000 (15,000 watt), but with the 7,000 watt on the market now?
    Semper ubi sububi in caput tuum