Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Sebastian Vecchi
    Saab(s)
    2001 Saab 9-5 Wagon (Turbo)

AS2 and Subwoofer compatability

Hey do you know if I can just add a subwoofer to my 9-5 without issues? I have the AS2/Premium edition but I dont know if I can just add the sub without having to change the head unit.
    If its broken, I can fix it. If it already works, I can break it.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    There is no difference between the AS2 and AS3 head units. The amplifiers are different though and I don't know if there is already wiring in place to connect the sub-woofer.

Amplifier
    The Premium and Prestige audio systems both have external amplifiers. The amplifier in the Prestige system has a higher output power than the Premium. It is available in two models, one for the 4D and one for the 5D.

Premium has 7 output channels and Prestige 9 output channels for speakers. The two additional output channels on the Prestige system are for bass speakers in the parcel shelf on the 4D or on the right-hand side of the luggage compartment on 5D.
    http://saabworld.net/f144/saab-9-5-audio-system-25402/

Sebastian Vecchi
    Saab(s)
    Has anyone found a tutorial on how to get to the actual amps? I tried looking in my hood and didnt find anything, (probably not accessible right from the hood).

Edit: I have looked all over and cannot find a simple tutorial on HOW to get to the amplifier. I see on the diagram where it is but I have no way on how to get to it.
    Last edited by svecchi; 05 March 2013 at 16:59.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Aero wagon
    It is on the rt side ft foot well take the lower trim under the glove box, rt side foot trim and the scuff plate loos/out of the way. it mounts to the body there. you can look in the rt rear hatch area for the wires, IIRC they are there, your can plugg in a H&K amp to drive the sub, but remember the speakers for the H&K are 2.5 ohm. only use a 5dr amp the 4dr is different and will not work. they look the same and will hook up but sound will suck. I am looking for replacemnt speakers for my H&K system, I knonw the sub is done:-) nand the others are weak as well. Finding 2.5 ohm speakers isnt easy.

Sebastian Vecchi
    Saab(s)
    What would you guys this if I used a
    [FONT=lucida grande]2 channel line output converter? Maybe go thru one of the back speakers and just splice it out then run a power line to the battery. I have a MTX dual 12" box, and thats what I am trying to install.[/FONT]

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldsaabguy View Post
    I am looking for replacemnt speakers for my H&K system, I knonw the sub is done:-) nand the others are weak as well. Finding 2.5 ohm speakers isnt easy.
    I have seen sets on eBay a few times.

00 01 99 Saab 9 5 Harman Kardon Front Rear Speaker Set Speakers 02 03 05 | eBay
    01 99 00 Saab 9 5 Harman Kardon Speaker Set Front Rear Speakers | eBay