Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2005 9-5
    Hi Frank,

I did it and it sounds great! I also realized that without turning the switch off the radio will remain on even with key pulled, if that normal?

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by kenship View Post
    I did it and it sounds great! I also realized that without turning the switch off the radio will remain on even with key pulled, if that normal?
    That's the same with mine so it seems this is normal.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2005 9-5
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    That's the same with mine so it seems this is normal.
    Thanks, this morning I plug in the car charger right below the audio unit and got lots of static noises, do I have an issue with the grounding?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 2.3L Linear Turbo
    Great tutorial! Good enough that I'm thinking of giving this a shot instead of replacing the head unit all together.

Does anyone think it's possible to run two Aux-ins by just doubling the wires?

I'd like to have one female input on the blank next to the seat heater where I could plug in my iPod, and have another behind the dash with a direct connection to my Sirius dock and play unit. Could it just accept the audio from whichever one was turned on without blowing up?

Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 Wagon 2.3T I4 (B235E)
    I have a question about the mod, Frank: You said you can bypass the switch and just use a female minijack mounted on one of the unused buttons? As I understand it, the switch is still required to put it into PHONE mode.

Is there such a thing as a combination switch and female jack?

Great tutorial!
    Last edited by AT ONE SIR; 13 July 2013 at 08:24.
    2001 9-5 Wagon

Frank
    Saab(s)
    @kenship
    I occasionally have some static noise when holding or moving around the iPod. Not sure where it comes form but it doesn't seem like a grounding issue.

@chadwick
    All the aux-in splitter cables I have seen are just that. One cable wtih multiple ends. I don't think you'll risk damaging anything, as long as you don't have them both going at the same time.

@at one sir
    I meant instead of using a male end, you can install a female end in one of the dash blanks and use an extra male-to-male to connect an audio player. The switch cable is separate from all of this.

Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 Wagon 2.3T I4 (B235E)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    @at one sir
    I meant instead of using a male end, you can install a female end in one of the dash blanks and use an extra male-to-male to connect an audio player. The switch cable is separate from all of this.
    OK. I thought there might be some special female 3.5mm jack that you can buy which has the effect of automatically switching once you plug it in. Something like this or this at DigiKey (part #'s CP1-3544-ND or CP1-3534-ND). Still don't know how you would mount it within the empty button, but this is what I was thinking about.

I have no idea if either of these are the right one, but it seems possible to have one female plug where you connect the L/R audio, both grounds, and the switch line so when you plug your player in, it switches to phone and accepts audio right then. I'm not an electronics whiz at all, but I have tinkered with quite a few items to add inputs, boards, etc.

By the way, it looks like some electronics folks are also trying to tackle this mod over at Stack Exchange. Maybe I can make the OnStar button the "switch"? More complicated, I know... I'll burn CDs like it's 1994 until I get the right solution and parts I want.
    Last edited by AT ONE SIR; 13 July 2013 at 17:44. Reason: added DigiKey part #s and links
    2001 9-5 Wagon

Saab(s)
    Saab 900 SE (1997), Saab 9-5 (2004), Saab 9-3 (2006), Saab 9-5 (2010)
    Thanks for these instructions, Frank! I made this modification this week using your instructions (I already replaced the Tape input with a 3.5mm jack years ago but wanted to use the Telephone input to add bluetooth/hands free capabilities). A few issues I'm trying to work through:

1) Now that I've made the modification, my radio seems to have reverted from Stereo to Mono. Anyone else had this problem?
    2) Frank, you mention that the switch is optional because the radio will be muted when the head unit detects a signal from the aux input. However, I found after I completed the modification that the radio is not muting -- it's playing both the radio signal and the aux signal simultaneously. Did I get my wiring wrong or did I misunderstand what you meant about the radio being muted automatically?
    2) @at one sir: I am also trying to think through how to make the switch to "Telephone mode" integrated so that there is no need for a switch. Any ideas for how to wire it so that connecting the 3.5mm input will also complete the connection to enter telephone mode? I will post if I come up with anything...

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesQ View Post
    2) Frank, you mention that the switch is optional because the radio will be muted when the head unit detects a signal from the aux input. However, I found after I completed the modification that the radio is not muting -- it's playing both the radio signal and the aux signal simultaneously. Did I get my wiring wrong or did I misunderstand what you meant about the radio being muted automatically?
    It sounds like there is something wrong with your wiring. As soon as I turn on my iPod, the radio automatically mutes even without using the switch.

Saab(s)
    Saab 900 SE (1997), Saab 9-5 (2004), Saab 9-3 (2006), Saab 9-5 (2010)
    I took it apart again tonight and redid the insulation around the ground lead. The radio sounds in stereo again AND it mutes when I plug in my ipod, so I'm thinking I created a short somewhere with lazy insulating. Thanks!