Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I hear some minor noise in between songs as well. I think it's the radio signal of the station you have it tuned in to that plays through. Best for me is to turn up the volume of the music player (iPod) as high as possible before it starts to distort the sound. The higher you have the volume on the head unit, the more noise you will hear.

You can unplug the power to Onstar unit in the back of the car. I don't think it will interfere with the aux-in but very well could be.

Barry
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 Aero, 2002 9-3 SE
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    I hear some minor noise in between songs as well. I think it's the radio signal of the station you have it tuned in to that plays through. Best for me is to turn up the volume of the music player (iPod) as high as possible before it starts to distort the sound. The higher you have the volume on the head unit, the more noise you will hear.

You can unplug the power to Onstar unit in the back of the car. I don't think it will interfere with the aux-in but very well could be.

----------

FOLLOW_UP (still in process)

PREFACE:
    Am I expecting too much, too clean of audio from the DIY? The question doesn't negate that I still think this is a rad mod. As always, I appreciate the input.

SIDENOTE:
    I actually have a long post saved, and set aside. I was racking my brains for the cause of the noise whenI remembered I installed a CD changer a year or so ago. I'm wondering if the noise could be coming from there? (Possible!) I'll get to this in a moment.

FIRST:
    I believe I may have neglected to mention an important, obvious point? I've had already removed the bluetooth device from the equation in order to find this current "noise." I'll mention in my longer reply the caveats and benefits of what I've done

SECOND:
    I don't think it' what you mentioned regarding noise, but correct me if I'm not understanding what you meant.
    I can hear an underlying noise, and in between songs, too. The noise though, occurs even between CD tracks, but does not sound like radio stations in the background. I suspect you're referring to the actual power of radio reception being the noise?

THIRD:
    Referring back to my "sidetone" regarding my changer installation. I regretfully concede the noise could be from the changer and I hate the thought of tearing into the trunk lining to check. (ARGH)

Since I have the head out - I thought of working backwards by temporarily removing the changer harness plug from the back of the stereo head's metal casing, then put the head back in for a test. THEN... dig into the trunk if the noise is still there.

QUESTIONS:

(1) I know you said I could unplug the OnStar power in the back, but does 1999-2001 9-5's OnStar light always stay on/green?
    I just don't remember, and if it's not supposed to be on until you push the button to use, that could be an indicator of cause.

(2) Is there an optic cable on the button or otherwise involved for this 9-5 series, or was that later a year I read about?

(3) Do you know which one, or any (whole) plug behind the head is specifically for the cd changer wiring? To test for noise.

----------

Last edited by PlaceboSaab; 17 June 2015 at 15:27. Reason: (edit - typo)

Barry
    Saab(s)
    While waiting for a response to my last post and before a lengthy post, I'm sharing my blue tooth option.

* I had to basically gut the entire button except one piece of plastic across the middle that provided added support shelf for everything.

* The 3.5 jack was an after thought - because I could, and "just in case"
    The line seen in the jack is far back in the hole. (The photo made is show up well for some reason.)

Name:  IMG_2359.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  46.1 KB Name:  IMG_2349.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  49.7 KB

* The phone switch is seen as the on the off switch. The button: press and hold to turn on /off the BT,
    * Aligned BT card across the shelf so the micro LED would face out and glued it's clear plastic face into a very tiny slot for the LED to be seen.

Name:  IMG_2350.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  41.4 KB Name:  IMG_2351.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  35.0 KB Name:  IMG_2352.jpg
Views: 927
Size:  49.8 KB

* The phone switch is seen as the on the off switch. The button to press and hold to turn on /off the BT. You can also see the battery that tucked into the other side of the shelf perfectly. I had to cut out part of the side of button to allow the power to connect so it has hard wired, constant power.

Name:  IMG_2355.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  27.1 KB

Last edited by PlaceboSaab; 09 June 2015 at 01:30.

Barry
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PlaceboSaab View Post
    ----------

- - Partial Quote - -

QUESTIONS:

(1) I know you said I could unplug the OnStar power in the back, but does 1999-2001 9-5's OnStar light always stay on/green?
    I just don't remember, and if it's not supposed to be on until you push the button to use, that could be an indicator of cause.

(2) Is there an optic cable on the button or otherwise involved for this 9-5 series, or was that later a year I read about?

(3) Do you know which one, or any (whole) plug behind the head is specifically for the cd changer wiring? To test for noise.

----------

FOLLOW UP, QUESTION ANSWERED, AND PARTIAL SOLUTION:

* CONTINUED ISSUE - NOISE FROM BLUETOOTH:

I continue having issues with the Bluetooth portion I'm trying to do.have always been weird digital noises from the bluetooth portion and not sure if I should give up on it, other than knowing I did a very similar, successful DIY in my wife's '98 Benz E320.

There have always been weird digital noises, regardless if music is playing or not, and whether an iPod is wirelessly connected or not, but of course more pronounced with nothing playing. This bluetooth gets power via USB cable - from a cigarette adapter, hard wired to the fuse box, and grounded to the car body. There is only slightly less noise when unplugging the USB power.

So, I'm just not sure if I should be grounding the bluetooth somehow, or the L & R audio ?? Or what???

* FROM (Q #1)
    I still need to know if the OnStar green light always stays on at anytime the car is running?

* FROM #3 QUESTION ANSWERED /SOLVED:
    I found the wiring plug(s) configuration right on top of the head after pulling it out agin to re-solder my points. See the answer in photos.

Name:  FullSizeRender_1.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  39.0 KB

Name:  FullSizeRender_2.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  36.7 KB

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 967
Size:  50.1 KB

TAKE NOTE: although somewhere it said 2000 on head, this is from a 2001 9-5 Aero, and appears to be the Pioneer version.

STEREO HEAD's GROUND ISSUE POSSIBLY SOLVED (???)
    ISSUE: "Noise" in stereo head with DIY wiring but without my MP3 device option installed. I've not had a lot of "running time" to be sure this issue is corrected, but maybe this is it.

INFORMATION:
    To continue being able to pull out the head easily as a modular device as SAAB intended - I soldered a male RCA jack at the end of my "switch" wire to connect to a female RCA end to my rocker switch as seen in my pics.

ISSUE CORRECTED (?)
    I believe the ground issue in the head may have been due to the two wires slightly touching in the RCA jack. It actually looked kinda bad. So bad I was somewhat embarrassed to show with a photo. ;-) I've since cleaned that up, and will further test. Subsequently I put a ground loose eliminating device in the L & R lines, but don't think that really did much.

Aaron Hammett

Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 SE Wagon
    I wanted to ask if there has been any effort made to inject a signal into the FM audio side and switch between FM radio audio and an external input.

Just curious as I have an engineering background and have done this with other radios in the past.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 convertible 9-3; 2007 93 Aero v6

Question Wiring for CD Only the Same?

I know this is an old thread, but as asked earlier, is the wiring the same for a 2000 saab head unit that only has cd and no cassette?

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Anyone try the CD changer inputs? Several adaptors such as Grom, but none do Saab or Pioneer EBUS

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I researched the CD Changer inputs before and some more information can be found in this thread: http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=2259

There is also this site: http://mauselec.blogspot.fr/

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    I messaged the mauselec guy waiting on an answer. For now I just added the Tele in option.

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Important Tip:

I bought a 2nd hand radio to mod off of Ebay figured I would leave the OE radio unmolested.
    Did the mod installed in the car and got a radio code error.
    Google, and found you need a Tech 2 to bind the radio to the car. No budget for that...
    So, I modified the OE unit and it works great. I have a radio with mods done if anyone needs it and has a Tech 2....