Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X

Line input (aux-in) for music player using telephone input

This tutorial describes how to add line input (or aux-in) to the head unit of a Saab 9-5 using the telephone input on the circuit board. It is the same method as posted on this Lithuanian website: SAAB 9-5 audio EN | Sand

I found some information that was missing and a few things that were not immediately clear so here is another tutorial using the same method. The head unit in my 2005 Saab 9-5 was also a little bit different.

The on/off switch for activating the telephone input is optional because the radio will mute as soon as it detects a signal on the aux input from a music player or other device. By using the telephone activation on the head unit with the switch, there will be a little bit less noise because there is a faint radio sound when you use the automatic mute. If your music player doesn't provide a high audio volume, the on/off switch will be more beneficial so the head unit volume will not have be turned up as much. The Telephone-in volume on the head unit can be adjusted separately from the other audio.

Audio quality is very good and similar to the CD player. Audio can be adjusted with the Bass and Treble controls on the head unit There is some light white noise when no music is playing but you will only notice with low music volume on your music player and when the car is stationary.

Parts needed:

Audio cable with at least one female or male 3.5 mm connector
    Toggle switch
    Electrical cable (about 2 feet)

Tools needed:

Soldering iron
    Philips screw drivers (small)

Time estimate: 1 - 2 hours

Difficulty: It is easy to do but you must be comfortable with soldering electronics.

Name:  IMG_2445.jpg
Views: 27415
Size:  40.6 KB

Instructions:

Remove the head unit from the dash by using removal tools. Knitting needles or nails should also work.

Name:  IMG_2448.jpg
Views: 26682
Size:  67.4 KB

Remove 4 bolts from the face plate (2 on each side). Gently lift up the plastic tabs with your fingers and remove the face plate.

Name:  IMG_2353.jpg
Views: 25437
Size:  99.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2356.jpg
Views: 25240
Size:  77.4 KB

Lift up the top of the head unit so you get access to the CD player. Remove the 4 screws. Having a magnetic screw driver will be very helpful to remove some of the bolts.

Name:  IMG_2359.jpg
Views: 25430
Size:  120.2 KB

Unplug the white ribbon cable from the main board by pulling it straight up. Remove the white plastic protector that keeps the ribbon cable in place. Lift up the CD player unit and put aside.

Name:  IMG_2361.jpg
Views: 25134
Size:  85.7 KB

Remove the 3 bolts of the CD player tray and put the tray aside.

Name:  IMG_2362.jpg
Views: 25191
Size:  92.5 KB

Remove the 4 bolts of the tape player unit, lift it up and put aside. There is no ribbon cable to detach.

Name:  IMG_2363.jpg
Views: 25125
Size:  130.4 KB

Remove 2 bolts of the small upper part of the main chassis and put this aside.

Name:  IMG_2367.jpg
Views: 25147
Size:  138.3 KB

Remove the screw and unplug the ribbon cable from the main board. Lift out the connector and small circuit board. This is the part where the on/off switch will be attached to.

Name:  IMG_2371.jpg
Views: 25129
Size:  111.1 KB

The arrow on the right points to Ground, the other to the connection that switches the head unit to Telephone mode.

Name:  IMG_2376.jpg
Views: 25032
Size:  117.9 KB

I only had another audio cable laying around but you can use regular electrical wire as well. This cable will attach to the on/off switch that I mounted in a switch blank next to the seat heater controls on the dash. More about that later.

Name:  IMG_2411.jpg
Views: 24900
Size:  66.7 KB

Remove 3 bolts on the main board. Bent back the 2 tabs with needle nose pliers that keep the board in place at the front (lower arrows)

Name:  IMG_2377.jpg
Views: 25773
Size:  150.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2383.jpg
Views: 25701
Size:  153.9 KB

Lift out the main board and turn over.

Name:  IMG_2385.jpg
Views: 24710
Size:  162.3 KB

The lower 2 arrows point to the line in for left/right audio signals, the upper arrow to the ground connection.

Name:  IMG_2388.jpg
Views: 24787
Size:  130.1 KB

There are different kinds of cables but there should be 2 wires (left and right audio) and a ground shield wire. When you solder the red and white as shown in the picture, left/right audio (balance) will be working like it should. Use some electrical tape for the exposed ground wire after soldering.

Name:  IMG_2433.jpg
Views: 25663
Size:  98.3 KB

Re-install the main board on the chassis and route the wire as shown in the picture.

Name:  IMG_2439.jpg
Views: 24473
Size:  84.6 KB

Re-install the connector piece and make sure to plug in the ribbon cable on the main board.

Name:  IMG_2417.jpg
Views: 24283
Size:  81.2 KB

I drilled a hole in the metal upper piece. There is a large open space in the cage where the head unit slides into and this was the best place for the wires to go.

Name:  IMG_2418.jpg
Views: 24208
Size:  45.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2429.jpg
Views: 24021
Size:  65.4 KB

Re-assemble the tape player, upper tray and CD player and attach the face plate.

Name:  IMG_2427.jpg
Views: 24215
Size:  56.3 KB

That wasn't too bad, was it? It may appear complicated at first but it really isn't that difficult to do. Make sure to route the audio cable through the back of the unit before you solder to the main board.

The only thing left to do is to install and connect the on/off switch. I used a small switch I bought at an electronics store (RadioShack) but I imagine you can get these at many different places. I used one of the switch blanks next to the seat heater controls and removed all plastic parts inside that blank with a rotary tool. This is just one solution.

Another solution is to use a female end for the audio cable and use a switch blank to install. You can then use another audio cable to connect your music player.

Name:  IMG_2424.jpg
Views: 23931
Size:  64.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2461.jpg
Views: 24150
Size:  79.8 KB

I routed the audio cable like this but there are several other ways to do this. I am planning to get a console mounted iPod holder and this is the best place for the cable.

Name:  IMG_2446.jpg
Views: 23819
Size:  70.7 KB

When you activate the switch, Telephone appears in the SID. The start input volume of the Telephone in can be set by turning on the head unit while holding down the Band button on the head unit. Use the Seek button to toggle to the Telephone volume and adjust.

Name:  IMG_2456.jpg
Views: 23774
Size:  79.6 KB

Does the 2004 have this same feature?

Frank
    Saab(s)
    This should work on all AS2 and AS3 head units MY98-05. Some older ones may have different boards and tape player inside but the main board should have the same connections.

I have been using it for a while now and still sounds fantastic.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Looks like a lot of work - but very neat at the same. Good solution for those who don't have an ipod my saab adapter. WHICH I need to install in the 9-3 still from our late 9-5. Hope it's compatible. lol
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

I'll have to borrow my brother-in-law's soldering iron and do this one. I'm sick of wearing out cassette adapters.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2005 9-5
    THKS a LOT!

I just read the original thread on the Lithuanian website and this guide provides even more instructions.

In your guide you solder the shield to a GRD point instead of scrapping off the greens and solder the shield to the plate. Does it apply on all head units?

And to Rognmoe: I'm 100% like you, borrowed soldering iron from brother-in-law, and got sick of the tape adapter. LOL!

Thanks again!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenship View Post
    In your guide you solder the shield to a GRD point instead of scrapping off the greens and solder the shield to the plate. Does it apply on all head units?
    The head unit on the other website looks like it is an older one but it also has that GND pin. It just looks a lot easier to use instead of scraping off the protective layer on the larger part of the board.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2005 9-5
    Correct! Mine has the same years as yours and hopefully I can follow your guide 100%.

BTW, I read some of your other posts on other projects. Have you tried remove the plastic trim above the glove box?

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenship View Post
    BTW, I read some of your other posts on other projects. Have you tried remove the plastic trim above the glove box?
    Not sure what trim you're referring to. Inside the glovebox?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2005 9-5
    I meant the plastic trim around the centre and the 2 front speakers, need to gain access to fix some squeaks.