Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2004 95 Aero

New to Saab, Need help. P-1312.

Hi, I have had a beautiful 95 for about a month. 2004 Aero with 25,000 miles, turbo. But is has been a bit of a headache so far. (AC, Motor Mounts.) Currently the car runs a little rough and has been diagnosed with “P-1312 – Ionization signal/misfire.” I am apparently running on 3 of 4 cylnders. That’s a shock because this thing has plenty of GO.

The mechanic indicated that the replacement part, I think he called it a “Kit,” likely needs to be replaced and is expensive (over $1,000). He said he was looking at an old technical sheet perhaps 2006. He suggested I do some research (like this) to see if there are any new fixes to this known mechanical issue. Perhaps something that did not require a complete replacement of the kit, etc.

Any help?

PS. My brother said “DO NOT BUY A SAAB” they are out of business and that should tell you something etc. etc. But I coulden’t help myself.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Firstly - this is a common issue. No this will not cost you $1000 to fix. You need to have new or like new PROPER spark plugs. Next you will need a new or good used OEM DIC (Direct Ignition Module/Cassette). The DIC is telling you that the unit is failing because the spark plugs have previously failed.

DIC - Genuine Saab OE 55559955 | Direct Ignition Cassette (Black) | Free Shipping
    Spark Plug -NGK PFR7H10 - Saab OE 9188681 | Spark Plug (Platinum) | NGK PFR7H10 | Free Shipping
    these also work - NGK PFR6H10 - Saab OE 9399866 | Spark Plug (Platinum) | NGK PFR6H10 | Free Shipping

I do not reccomend an aftermarket Ignition Cassette or any other spark plugs. If you use aftermarket plugs you will only kill the DIC again.

I suggest you make the repairs yourself if you own basic tools and know how to use them. If not - find a friend who can.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    The price for the DIC from eEuro has come down again and the Carquest deal has gone up so there isn't that much difference. Not sure if Carquest is still shipping out the OEM DICs. http://saabworld.net/f9/last-chance-...m-units-27412/

Any Saab 9-5 owner goes through replacing the DIC sooner or later so welcome to the club. Glad to hear you didn't listen to your brother because the Saab 9-5 is a great car and generally very reliable with the right maintenance. Does it really only have 25K miles?

Saab(s)
    2004 95 Aero
    Thanks Burnsside 42 and Frank for the comments.

I went with the Carquest coil for $301. Plugs at $15 each. The owners manual specified 6H10 rather than 7H10 so I went with those. The parts made it to the store by 9:00 next morning from a warehouse in south Phoenix. made me feel a lot more comfortable about parts availability. Now I hope I can cut down for the need for parts. Frank, the car no longer has 25K miles, as it is fun to drive, but I got it last month with just over 25K on the odometer and feels new thfoughout. It even came with the window "sticker display" rolled up in the glove box. A nice touch. The car is officially my wife's and she drives it one mile to work, so we hope to keep it low miles and shiney.

Thanks again for the quick comments and to help me get out of the "hope I din't make a mistake" feeling that was creeping up on me.

Tom