Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-3 convertible, saab 94

Diagnostic scanner OBD2 recommendations

Just incase you guys can help me further, is there a diagnostic scanner, that would help me re-set engine codes etc, if they appear sometime in the future. Ive had a look around and the Tech2 states that it is only for petrol vehicle from 2001 onwards and diesel from 2004 onwards. My convertible is 1999 and the sellers wont guarantee that it will allow me to read and reset codes.

Now i dont need one at present, but, i thought it prudent to have a scanner at hand, the same as i purchased several special tools for doing the caliper wind back and a few other items, simply to make life easier for my engineer, as he does not always have the correct special tools so at least if i have them, work wont be stalled or damage done!!

If anyone could further help me on this one i would be greatfull.

Thanks

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    A Tech2 is a pricey piece of equipment, and probably has more features than your typical DIY'er needs. Many independent mechanics don't even have one. For much cheaper you can get an OBDII scanner that has a clear function. And for even cheaper, you can leave your battery disconnected for 10 minutes. That will clear the codes.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-3 convertible, saab 94
    Im all for the cheapest method, will it truly sort any code number warnigs???? Thanks for the info, but ive also noticed that the OBD2 also states that it covers all petrol engines from 2001 onwards, is that the case for my 1999 9-3

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    By stating that, it just means that the scanner can't guarantee that it will know what the code is. So, for example it might just come up with "P1230" instead of something like "Damper sensors 1&2, Sum voltages outside limit value" It could, but might not. But, you can just use Google to find out what P1230 means.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-3 convertible, saab 94
    Thats very true, thanks for all your help, much appreciated!!

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Jeffrey
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    I just pulled the trigger on getting one of these for just under $88 shipped. Retail is over $120 plus tax anywhere else like a store or a tool truck. Keep in mind I work @ a dealership and on cars daily. Lots of used cars and CEL so having one of your own which works well is critical.

Launch Creader VI Auto Code Reader OBDII 2 EOBD Diagnostic Code Scanner Tool | eBay

Creader VI is the next generation of vehicle fault diagnosis tool developed by LAUNCH, especially for the DIY users and the servicemen of small service workshop. This product applies the color LCD display and personalized function menu. It can diagnose the OBD & EOBD vehicles in whole functions with multi-language selection and LED diagnostic status indicators, which improves the user-friendliness. Meanwhile, the adoption of a whole new operation system makes the Creader VI run faster and help the user diagnose the vehicle more efficient.Feature
    Read dynamic datastream
    MIL indicator
    Readiness status test
    Search freeze frame data
    Read current DTCs
    Clear DTCs
    O2 sensor detection test
    Specified monitoring system on-board monitor test
    Read pending DTCs
    Read on-board systems or components control
    Read vehicle information
    Read permanent DTCs
    DTCs search
    Tested data playback

Specification
    Screen: 2.8'' TFT 262K true color, 320*240 Pixels LCD display
    Input voltage range: 8 ~ 32V
    Operating current:<100mA@12V(Typical)
    Power consumption: <1.2W(Typical)
    Link connection: Standard OBD 16-pin DLC
    Operating temperature: 0 ℃ ~ 50 ℃
    Storage temperature: -20 ℃ ~ 70 ℃ @ RH 60%
    Size: 120 * 85 * 29mm
    Net weight: 276g
    Certification: CE FCC

Contains:
    1x LAUNCH Creader VI OBD II Scanner
    1x USB Cable
    User Manual
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 9³ Arc
    Would you like to share the rest of the story too? Did you get the thingamjingy? Does it work fine?

Jeffrey
    Saab(s)
    YEP! I got it Last week - works great so far - very impressed with it's ease of use and how it works. It's also fairly fast in communications.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I bought this Innova 3100 for $76 about 2 years ago. I don't know if it is a good brand or not but worked out great for the few times I used it. It's one of those tools you only buy once so I spent a bit more than the very basic odb readers. But any one of those should work fine for the average car owner. I hope to use mine not much at all.

INNOVA 3100 CAN/OBDII Code Reader : Amazon.com : Automotive