Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Linear Wagon
    Thumbs Up:   0
    We've had a Panasonic Plasma for a while, almost a year, no problems with it. If I had it to do over I would still buy a Panasonic Plasma any size. The resolution won't be any better than a regular tv (480i) if you don't have HD programming.

BTW the audio of the tv itself sucks, needs help from a system.

0 Not allowed!

Saab(s)
    2002 9 5 Aero
    The same as theoldman here. A Panasonic plasma for a year and working great. Best choice for a plasma TV in my oppinion.

0 Not allowed!

Matt
    Saab(s)
    No Saabs :(... Just a Forester Turbo
    Thumbs Up:   1
    Whenever I test the 3D setups in the store it seems depressing. Sure movies like Avatar look great with 3D in the theatre, however on every consumer TV I have tested, the 3D seems to add a lot of noise and pixelation compared to the 2D crisp experience. 3D is also in its infancy and probably wont be good enough for me for ~5 years.

That said, the reason I dont like plasmas is because pixel separation tends to be higher, you can almost see the gap between pixels (Same amount of pixels an an LCD of equivelent size, however the pixels themselves are smaller and the gap between is larger). And most plasmas have the glass front which causes reflections. My living room is full of windows so that is a no-go.

Its funny, my 42" LCD looks archaic compared so those super thin LCD's in the store with hardly any frame.

Biggest differences these days between mine and the new ones is the frame rate. The new ones are so incredibly smooth, some at 4 times the frame rate of my TV. The adaptive contrast is a lot faster than mine as well... I'll probably wait until mine completely dies though... I HATE upgrading unless the differences are very significant.

On the topic of home theatre, my Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 THX speakers just died recently after four years. Extremely disappointing as they provided incredible sound for the money. I've been doing some research online, evidently they are known for great sound, great price, but crappy build quality. I'm amazed at the amount of people's who's amps just died after ~2-3 years. Mine probably only made it to four because I dont use them often.

Just ordered these... I am unwilling to shell out more than ~$70.00 on new speakers right now and these have gotten decent reviews.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16836852002
    Corsair SP2200 46 w 2.1 Gaming Audio Series PC Speaker System

After the coupon code and mail in rebate they come to $49.99

I know Corsair for making memory, I have no idea how these are going to hold up in the long term, and they lack dedicated tweeters, however the accoustics of my room tends to emphasize harsh upper tones (all hard surfaces), so I'm hoping I wont miss them.... and they have received good professional reviews and user reviews. They also come with a 2 year warranty which boosted my confidence.

0 Not allowed!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Thumbs Up:   134
    I was browsing around Fry's yesterday (love that store!) and they had the 50" Panasonic 3D Plasma I was looking at before. 3D was just spectacular as it seemed you were just looking through a glass window with some of the scenes like a coral reef. But 3D content probably still very limited. 3D is a nice add-on but I wouldn't buy a TV just because of that. But still would be nice if it already has it.

0 Not allowed!

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    My brother just got this one yesterday. It was on sale for $699 in store at Sears.
    Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

0 Not allowed!
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0T SportCombi "Mattie"; On SAABatical: 1993 9000 CSE 2.3T "Matilda"
    Need this sound system to go with an awesome video system ....

0 Not allowed!
    "Nulla tenaci invia est via"
    SAAB CLUB of WESTERN CANADA (SCWC)

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 9³ Arc
    Audio tip: Pioneer's new series AV receivers support Apple AirPlay, amongst other qualities they obviously also hold.
    A/V Receivers | Pioneer Electronics USA

0 Not allowed!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    93 Aero
    Hi Frank, I wanted to put my 0.02 into this conversation. All Panels are Great. It depends on your lighting conditions.I can explain further. If you are introducing a Plasma Television into a room with limited controlled lighting you Will get much more then normal refelction (46"+ size).The Plasma Panel acts light a mirror, which in fact it is a mirror. An LCD or LED will not allow or will have minimal reflection. Refresh rates are over rated!!
    Example: A Blu-ray/DVD Player will only output 24fs or 60fs (Native) panel(s) which are (60hz-120hz-240hz or a CRAZY 600hz) will only double or triple that resolution. Its next to impossible to see that much of a difference.Due to the fact that the (Panel HZ) is being manipulated & dublicated for a smoother picture. In some cases it soo smooth it does not look real. All technologies complement another. LCD-LED best in non-controlled lighting conditions, Plasma is a Fantastic performer in (darker/controlled lighting)conditions.

Now, if you would like to learn more about Resolutions/HZ/Contrast/HDMI please don't hesitate to contact me, or simply reach out to our web-site....Bloorwestav.com

Kindest Regards,

0 Not allowed!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 Saab 9-5 SE wagon (gone) (135K), 99 9-5 sedan (gone), 07 Honda Odyssey
    Have you thought of going to a projector? I went with a Panny ae2000U projector (second hand~$500). I went from a 26" hi def CRT Samsung TV to a 1080P image that stretches 10ft (not diagonally, literally 10ft across) projecting onto my wall that is light beige/sand colored. The image quality is AMAZING. The downside is that in high brightness times (all window shades open during the day) the image gets a bit washed out, but I am working during the days. In the evenings which is prime tv/movie watching time, there are no issues.

Here's an example of a pic from my family room. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic.

Name:  IMG_5541.JPG
Views: 95
Size:  38.0 KB

0 Not allowed!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Thumbs Up:   134
    The more I look at TVs in stores and online, the more confusing it gets. Too many choices! They only should have a choice between small, medium and large and good, better and best quality. It's like picking out shampoo, wine or mayonnaise at the grocery store. Do we really need 100 different kinds?

All I know is I need one soon because I kind of miss my dose of 2+ hours of TV per day. How did people survive or kept themselves busy 50 or 100 years ago?

0 Not allowed!