Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2004 SAAB 9-5 ARC 2.3T

Transmission flush

I am new to Saab and I have a 9-5 arc 2.3t I know at 60k miles its supposed to get a transmission flush. I would love to have the pressurized flush but I'm having trouble finding a shop that can do it. I used to b a mechanic and I know how to flush it without the machine but wit kind of transmission fluid does my model use and how much should I put in it while doing the flush manually.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Regular old fashion ATF or Dexron 6 works.

The method w/out the machine I've done is @ operating temp drain/fill - drive a few miles til hot - drain/fill. Repeat about 4x's and you'll have about a complete flush. 4 QTS each drain and fill. I recommend a new trans drain seal on the last drain and fill. Drain bolt is a 24mm. Do not go crazy snugging the bolt. Snug and that's it.

Fred Beans Cadillac/Buick/GMC/SAAB (me) have the BG Transmission Flush machine and service available. It takes about 16QTS of ATF and works in one shot when hot.

Also - check your cooler seals @ the radiator. They like to loosen and leak. 19mm - top and bottom.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsside42 View Post
    Regular old fashion ATF or Dexron 6 works.
    I hate to disagree with you but.. Saab specifies Saab 3309 which is the same as Mobil 3309 and Toyota T-IV. Dexron was for the older 4-speed transmissions.

Always use mineral ATF, never synthetic.

This may be of help: http://saabworld.net/f29/saab-9-5-au...2-3t-2-3t-474/

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Dexron 6 overrides the previous versions. Though it IS considered synthetic - it's compatible with all previous dexron versions. You are right about the mineral based however. No problems on the dealership side of things. I run the stuff in our cars without ANY issues.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 w/ Sport Package
    Dexron 6 overrides the previous versions. Though it IS considered synthetic - it's compatible with all previous dexron versions. You are right about the mineral based however. No problems on the dealership side of things. I run the stuff in our cars without ANY issues.
    I'm siding with Frank on this. 6 may be a substitute but AW-50 trannys are just to darn finicky for me to try anything else. Aisin built those trannys around the fluid. Volvo even goes as far as to say 3309 is lifetime fluid because the trans adjusts to the fluid age. I think that is hooey but I do agree that the tranny and the fluid are closely matched.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Dexron 6 overrides the previous versions. Though it IS considered synthetic - it's compatible with all previous dexron versions.
    But 3309 is not a Dexron-type fluid, or is it? Dexron is a specification from GM and I assume 3309 is something different than Dexron.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/..._ATF_3309.aspx