Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric

Tire: Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric
    Type: summer
    Size: 235/45R17 97Y
    Car: 2005 9-3 (Linear, 2.0t)
    Where bought: Tire Rack
    Price paid: approx. US$170 each plus shipping (now sold for less)
    Miles driven on tires: 10,000 (exact mileage is on file..sign of insanity)
    Driving conditions: April (when the daily high is 50F) to December (when temperatures are below 38F, even for one day)
    Driving style: Very cautious in rain, somewhat spirited in dry weather
    Tread wear / warranty: 240AA A, warranty: none?
    Would you buy again: Probably, would consider the Continental ExtremeContact DW but probably not the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec because of possible poorer wet behavior
    Positives: Quiet, good lateral traction, sidewalls not spongy
    Negatives: Very slippery at 36 degrees F
    Notes: All tires are quiet when new. These are exceptionally quiet. They have gotten noiser with age but still not too noisy. My comparison is when I change to winter tires. Those winter tires are not used much so the assumption is that the noise level of the winter tires are the same.

With the factory Pirelli P6 4 Seasons tires, it was possible to engage the traction control. With these tires, it's harder to do so and still stay within legal driving limits.

These tires handle well in wet weather but I usually drive much slower in wet weather and try not to make a turn too quickly. However, if it is 36 degrees and wet, these tires are noticably more slippery. Since Seattle weather is very predictable and lacks wild temperature swings (there are no sudden heat waves during the spring followed by sudden cold as in some parts of the U.S.), this tire is a good choice if one has a separate set of winter tires.

This tires are made in Germany. They are an asymmetric design which means one side needs to be mounted on the outside. They are not directional so people who like to rotate tires can move them from the right to the left.

If I needed to buy tires now, I might buy this one. I would probably not buy the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 because the PS3 has already come out in other countries. If you drive an old tire model, it can sometimes be hard to find one replacement tire. The Goodyear is also cheaper than the PS2.

There is a lengthy thread about older batches of 18" and larger Eage F1 Asymmetric tires cracking and being replaced under warranty in Singapore. See http://vagsg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30222

Last edited by Dave T; 09 August 2010 at 03:04. Reason: picture added