This tire is new for the 2012-2013 winter season.

Tire: Michelin X-Ice Xi3
Type: Winter
Size: 215/55-16
Car: 2005 Saab 9-3 Linear
Where bought: Tire Rack (tirerack.com)
Price paid: base price, approximately $135, shipping is about $20 per tire, a limited time rebate of $40 per tire. Local installation was less than $20 per tire. Total price: about $130
Miles driven on tires: 1,000
Driving conditions: slightly cold (25F/-3C), many rainy days, one light dusting of snow
Driving style: Cautious in rain and snow, moderate in dry conditions, less moderate with summer tires
Rotation schedule: mid-December to early February
Would you buy again: Yes
Positives: Extremely quiet tire compared to Continental ExtremeContact DW and Bridgestone Blizzak WS60. There is much less high frequency noise, which is noticeable with the radio on low volume. The total noise level is average with more of the noise at low pitched frequencies. The tires don't squirm too much. The tires are supposed to last a long time but I can only confirm that they don't last a short time based on extrapolating tire tread depth from the little that I did drive on them
Negatives: Directional tires are very common for snow tires but asymmetric tires have more flexibility with rotation. Cannot compare with a summer tire for spirited driving.

Compared with my impressions for the Bridgestone Blizzak WS60, both are good tires. The mild winter made it impossible to test in the snow because there was only one light dusting, so light that on a side street, one could still see the road. Wet braking is not lengthy with this tire. It definitely feels spongy compared to summer tires but compares favorably to every snow tire that I've used. With one particular stretch of road with a 270 degree turn and no posted speed limit, the car is steady at 52 mph. With summer tires, I have driven this same turn at 60 mph but have not attempted this with the X-Ice Xi3. This turn is an entrance ramp to a highway that has a 60 mph speed limit but, curiously, there is no sign with an advisory speed. As a result, I see it as a great place to drive fast legally!

The tread is one solid compound, unlike the Blizzaks, which have a more spongy compound for the outer 55% of the tread. Because of this, one might try to use these tires half a season longer than desirable because there is not an absolute rule to stop using the tire after 55% of the tread has been worn, as is the case with the Blizzak.

Made in Thailand.

I've taken the tires off the car so a stock photo is shown rather than a stack of tires.