Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-3t

valves

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsside42 View Post
    Use the Bio Power valves as indicated - they are more robust it seems.
    I ordered those valves but I noticed in the book I have to have a timming tool wich I can't find or have the money to buy. Can I do it vishually? I send my head off to be repaired just waiting on valves to come in. Crazy gm ant covering none of these valves. They ripped a lot of people off. Is the cobalts ggoing threw this problem also.

Saab(s)
    2004 9-3 Arc Convertible, 2008 9-3 2.0T
    Quote Originally Posted by ronald1980 View Post
    I ordered those valves but I noticed in the book I have to have a timming tool wich I can't find or have the money to buy. Can I do it vishually? I send my head off to be repaired just waiting on valves to come in. Crazy gm ant covering none of these valves. They ripped a lot of people off. Is the cobalts ggoing threw this problem also.
    To do the job the correct (and much easier) way you really should use the tool. There is a post over at saabcentral about a way to do it without the tool but it requires setting it up as you take it apart. The main issue is the Saab setup does not use keys on the cam sprockets so the alignment is easily messed up without the tool.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-3t

timming

Quote Originally Posted by AVguy View Post
    To do the job the correct (and much easier) way you really should use the tool. There is a post over at saabcentral about a way to do it without the tool but it requires setting it up as you take it apart. The main issue is the Saab setup does not use keys on the cam sprockets so the alignment is easily messed up without the tool.
    I dindt mark nothin cause I thought it have marks like a normal engine should. I was goin to try to get tdc and I have a pick in my haines that shows the tool being used and was going to try in line it up like it is in the pic. Only thing I can think of trying.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-3t

head bolts

Quote Originally Posted by AVguy View Post
    Is it owkay to use my old head bolts or do I need to buy new ones? I haven't seen anyone on any thread talk about replacing them. Idn if they stretch or not. But if they do theyl break. So do you or anyone else know if I need to replace um or if I can reuse them?

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    I reused mine. Next time I wouldn't.
    eeurparts.com or thesaabsite.com carry them.
    finding41
    Marty Jackson
    www.northchannelcharters.com

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-3t

reuse

Quote Originally Posted by Finding41 View Post
    I reused mine. Next time I wouldn't.
    eeurparts.com or thesaabsite.com carry them.
    If you reused yours I should be good right

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    They worked for me and this is round 4 with them. Are they stretched...? Probably. Do they seem to work... So far.
    When I did my rebuild I couldn't throw allot of $ at it. So I reused them.
    I can change them all individually in the future. (See head bolt re-torking in the tutorial or WIS section on this site.)
    What its this timing tool? Are you feeding a new timing chain in? If not you don't need any special tool. You will have to set the valves for sure when you replace them. (Get new valve seals...)
    Check the rebuild my 2.3T thread I started. It will show what to do and what not to do...
    finding41
    Marty Jackson
    www.northchannelcharters.com

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-3t

bolts

Quote Originally Posted by Finding41 View Post
    They worked for me and this is round 4 with them. Are they stretched...? Probably. Do they seem to work... So far.
    When I did my rebuild I couldn't throw allot of $ at it. So I reused them.
    I can change them all individually in the future. (See head bolt re-torking in the tutorial or WIS section on this site.)
    What its this timing tool? Are you feeding a new timing chain in? If not you don't need any special tool. You will have to set the valves for sure when you replace them. (Get new valve seals...)
    Check the rebuild my 2.3T thread I started. It will show what to do and what not to do...
    Mine is a 2.0t 2007 saab. I don't have dollars either. Everybill came up at once and I got put in hospitial again so I'm dissabled and can't work so I gotta try to manage off what little money I have left to fix car. I can't find anywhere were they say to rechange headbolts. It don't say to change timming chain neither. Did you reuse your exhaust valves?. My head is being redone at a machine shop. I bought the replacement intake valves and seals came with gasket kit. The part that is getting me is the timming tool. I thought it have marks and it don't. So now I'm stuck on if I just should order head bolts, and a chain and pput it all together and wait till I get the money one day to buy a timming tool. Stinks cause the car I'm driving gets 16mpg and I live in country. I bought this car a month ago and it was supposed to be a map sencer and a good engine and I paid $4500 for car and another $500 to fix a bad intercooler. Now I'm fixing the engine. This problem really needs to be put out there cause I could of warmed my car up and resold it for top dollar and made someone have a really bad day. I love the car the little I drove it. Its just been a complete money loss for me so far and id wanna put it together and not do it right, but yet I don't have the income to do it. This timming tool is really messing with me.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-3t
    I got my valves done fixed it. Didn't buy timming tool. So far so good.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    So my car broke 2 weeks ago - bent a valve. Lifter broke in 2... 60K Way to go GM. I'll make a thread at some point with pictures. All my parts came in Friday. Head is off and waiting repair now.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com