Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero 2.3t Wagon HO Manual
    Quote Originally Posted by juze View Post
    I have exactly the same coolant leak problem. After having read everything on coolant leaks on the Saab 9-5 that I can find on the internet, I'm 99.9% certain that the CBV is the culprit. Instead of going to the mechanic, I decided to tackle the job myself as it seems simple enough. I have all the parts and tools I need, including the special hose clamp pliers.

My contribution to this post is just to let people know how you can get hold of a new CBV part cheaply and quickly. I decided to go for an after market replacement part but wanted to be sure that i get a good quality part so I thought I would get a brand name part from a German manufacturer (I have the utmost confidence and faith in German built machines). As far as I know AC Delco and Febi Bilstein are both German manufacturer who make the CBV part. Frank Wulfers here has the AC Delco CBV here for sale at the marketplace on this site for $30 which is the best deal you can find. I got my Febi Bilstein CBV from Amazon.com, it says made in Brazil but that's ok. Here are the shortened links:

Febi Bilstein CBV here: Amazon.com: Febi-Bilstein Heater Bypass Valve: Automotive

Pneumatic hose clamp pliers here: Amazon.com: Astro Pneumatic 9409A Hose Clamp Pliers: Home Improvement

The price for the CBV is $42.75. The cool thing about ordering it from Amazon is that I just signed up for a free trial of Amazon Prime where they will get pretty much anything to you in 2 days, free shipping with no minimum orders. And sure enough I got my CBV in 2 days and my pliers ($32), from a separate order in 2 days as well, free shipping in both cases.

I think you missed the point regarding this thread......
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero B235R
    Sport Wagon 2.3T HO Manual
    140,627 Miles

Saab(s)
    900 Turbo, 9-3 SE, 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by photousa View Post
    I think you missed the point regarding this thread......
    Most definitely! I will be waiting to rid my car of Dexcool for G05 until I have the CBV hose replacement. I hot on the trail a acquiring one.

Please help. Today I changed my coolant bypass valve, as I was changing and I broke to vacuum lines. They were fairly brittle and need to be changed anyway so I wasn't too upset, the only problem is I completely have no idea where that came from. I have looke at different diagrams to help with this matter but I have not been able to figure it out. If anyone can help me with the diagram of the lines that connect from the turbocharger all the way back to the cbv i I would really appreciate it. By the way I have a saab 95 4 cylinder turbo

Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 Aero, 2006 9-3SC 2.0T, 2000 Viggen 'vert, SAAB Quantum, 2000 9-5 retired at 318K miles

Here is one diagram of the vacuum line routing for the Turbo By-Pass Valve. Use 4mm silicone vacuum line to replace the old brittle rubber line.

BTW - eEuroparts stated two weeks ago they have a new source for the hose set that replaces the Coolant By-Pass Valve since apparently MacKay stopped producing this part. A spokesman for eEuroparts said this company is actually the OEM supplier for these hoses which were installed on all 9-5 cars without the ACC feature and should be available in another month. I've got a set on reserve for my '08 Aero.

Saab(s)
    Hey Roger, Thanks for the heads up, do you have a link for that hose set? How did you go about reserving a set with eEuro parts, just place the order and wait for it? Thanks
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero B235R
    140,627 Miles

Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 Aero, 2006 9-3SC 2.0T, 2000 Viggen 'vert, SAAB Quantum, 2000 9-5 retired at 318K miles
    I told a Rep from eEuroparts who posted on another Blog to put me on the waiting list for one of these hose sets. I am not sure how much strength is in that request/promise so I intend to keep watching their web site and place an official order as soon as the part appears. In this Rep's post the comments were made regarding the new company being the OEM supplier and a target date for receipt 6 weeks in the future, which will be early September.

Saab(s)
    Thanks again, I'll send my contact there and email and try to get on the same list. I contacted a sales rep for McKay looking for that hose set months ago and they would just never get back to me, so after a couple of emails, I had given up.
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero B235R
    140,627 Miles

Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 Arc wagon
    No need to replace the valve. Just disable it. I have disabled mine for 3 years and so far so good. All you need to do is pull the vacuum hose that goes from the valve to the solenoid and put a plug on the solenoid nipple. Takes about 20 seconds and largely achieves the same thing as the McKay hose for pennies and much less hassle.

Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    eEuroparts has these hose kits in stock again. Only three left in the warehouse after I ordered mine but they say more are on the way. I believe the price is lower than before. When was the last time that happened?

Saab(s)
    900 Turbo, 9-3 SE, 9-5 Aero
    Thanks, I got one too.