Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero 2.3t Wagon HO Manual
    There's a notch or bracket built into the CBV, the solenoid just slides out of the bracket, no need to drill out any rivets.
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero B235R
    Sport Wagon 2.3T HO Manual
    140,627 Miles

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    Thanks so much
    mike

Saab(s)
    Hey Roger, Is this the part that you used to replace the three barbed post connector?
    Was 5/32 or 4mm the size you used? Did you use brass or plastic? Thanks

Here's an ebay link: 4mm Straight Brass Barbed Fuel Hose Joiner Silicon 5 32 | eBay
    I really wish someone would make a bypass valve in metal, something that is durable and reliable, I don't understand putting
    a plastic part in a critical position like that..
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero B235R
    140,627 Miles

Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 Aero, 2006 9-3SC 2.0T, 2000 Viggen 'vert, SAAB Quantum, 2000 9-5 retired at 318K miles
    I went to O'Reily's to get just one or two and had to buy a full box of various sizes. All were plastic, probably 50 straight and T-fittings in three or four different sizes for ~$5. Now I have enough for life but I would rather have been able to get a two or three pack.

But yes, it looked just like your photo other than material.

If you want brass, have you checked the plumbing department of the Big Box hardware stores, or an aquarium supply shop?

Saab(s)
    I just did this job today, it was great to have the tips from Roger. Took me at least 3.5 hours. When I first got into the job, I was using a camera and filming the procedure. After about 5 to 10 minutes, I realized it was going to be a lot of tedious work, very little space to do the work and not much fun, so I stopped filming. I was seriously wondering if I would be able to get the job done in one afternoon. I have a new respect for anyone who has done this job. Boy, am I glad to have this done and happy to be rid of the worry that the CBV is going to fail somewhere 3 hours from home and dump all of my coolant. I'll be listing some notes and posting some photos after I recover...
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero B235R
    140,627 Miles

Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 9-5

Thumbs up Thanks to MNZTR - Quick Fix Worked perfectly and Much Appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by mnztr View Post
    No need to replace the valve. Just disable it. I have disabled mine for 3 years and so far so good. All you need to do is pull the vacuum hose that goes from the valve to the solenoid and put a plug on the solenoid nipple. Takes about 20 seconds and largely achieves the same thing as the McKay hose for pennies and much less hassle.
    I wanted to highlight MNZTR's apparently permanent and simple 5-minute fix as I think it got glossed over a bit in the thread.

Apparently previous owner knew this trick because I had recently re-connected a vacuum hose because of rough idle and hard brake pedal. Result = Brake pedal fixed, rough idle *maybe* a little better. Next Daymy daughter calls saying "Low Coolant" message on dash. Discovered leaky CBV, this thread, MNZTR's post.

Disconnected vacuum tube at CBV and plugged with a bolt. Now I have a normal brake pedal and zero leaks from CBV. Cost = Zero.

Now if I can just make it not idle like a 1 cylinder tractor I'll be in good shape, but that's another 50 threads.

Saab(s)
    1999 9-5
    Vborge- Is this fix still working for you? If so, I may try it today. I had coolant all over from that leaky CBV. If I understand your post correctly, you do not believe the rough idle to be from the plugged vacuum tube.

To All - have any others tried this fix with success?

Mackay rocks

If you go the Mackay route, USE the worm gear clamps! I used the original clamps, and it added a considerable amount of time. As noted my another member, use a sharp knife to remove the original hoses. This can easily be a 30-40min job. Took me just under 1.5 hrs because, of the ring clamps. Lesson learned....pita's

Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 9-5
    saabgreen - I had the CBV hooked up factory - and the leak - for about a week before I found this thread. During that time idle was same. I exaggerate on how rough though. It's kind of like an 1980s 4-cylinder rough... OK but not what I expect from a motor with balance shafts. We also have a 2001 Mercedes C240 which is 90 degree V6, also inherently imbalanced, with balance shafts, and it is smooth as silk. Also now that it's been a month or more I can report that coolant system is dry and tight - just like it was during the 6 months between when I bought the car and when I connected the vacuum line at CBV.

The difference between now and before is that I plugged the vacuum line going back to the engine. That might have made a slight improvement in idle quality.

I could still make a bottle of 50-50 dish-soap and water and spray around looking for vacuum leaks. Hope this helps.

Saab(s)
    '01 9-5 Aero
    I am in the process of replacing the bypass valve with the Mackay hoses. My question is which firewall attachment does the long Mackay hose go to and which one does the short one go to?
    Thanks