Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 Aero, 2006 9-3SC 2.0T, 2000 Viggen 'vert, SAAB Quantum, 2000 9-5 retired at 318K miles
    IIRC the long hose connects the end of the engine block to the top fitting on the firewall. Basically, if you keep the stiff rubber sheath over the hoses they will only fit (easily) in one configuration. With the by-pass valve removed I don't think it really matters which hose goes where.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 95 AERO manual, 2003 95 Aero auto
    I HAVE THIS by-pass on our 4 Saab 95s in SoCal and we really notice no difference in cooling with AC.

This is a very good fix for a recurring leak.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by mnztr View Post
    No need to replace the valve. Just disable it. I have disabled mine for 3 years and so far so good. All you need to do is pull the vacuum hose that goes from the valve to the solenoid and put a plug on the solenoid nipple. Takes about 20 seconds and largely achieves the same thing as the McKay hose for pennies and much less hassle.
    Quote Originally Posted by VBorge View Post
    Disconnected vacuum tube at CBV and plugged with a bolt. Now I have a normal brake pedal and zero leaks from CBV. Cost = Zero.
    mnztr and VBorge - I am no expert on anything car related. I'm curious as to how the fix you've employed could be different/better/worse than the fix with hoses?

VBorge - when you say you plugged with a bolt, what did you plug, the tube or the CBV? And pardon my ignorance but do you mean a regular, old bolt?

In terms of the hose fix, are there any downsides when using this with an ACC system? I see people mentioning how hot it gets in their locales and how the fix hasn't affected them yet. Does this really only affect the Max-AC setting and if so, how does it affect it? If I were to drive to the desert would there be downsides if I had the hose fix?

Thanks.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 95 AERO manual, 2003 95 Aero auto
    pulling the vacuum hose this stop the valve from working. If you get a leak it is at the o ring that seals the shaft. The valve could still leak through the o ring even if it is disconnected. So I have no idea what disconnecting the vacuum hose will do.

To me this is not a fix for the leak.

Also the MacKay hose eliminates a bunch of hoses and connections. So you have less areas for leaks and bad hoses. PLUS you are putting new rubber the the hose system that will last many more years than the original rubber.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by rlague View Post
    pulling the vacuum hose this stop the valve from working. If you get a leak it is at the o ring that seals the shaft. The valve could still leak through the o ring even if it is disconnected. So I have no idea what disconnecting the vacuum hose will do.

To me this is not a fix for the leak.

Also the MacKay hose eliminates a bunch of hoses and connections. So you have less areas for leaks and bad hoses. PLUS you are putting new rubber the the hose system that will last many more years than the original rubber.
    Thanks rlague, that really clarifies it up for me. I'll be ordering the hose set today.

Saab(s)
    '04 9-5 Aero Wagon, '90 900
    I swapped out the bundle of snakes and broken CBV yesterday. Here's the old/new comparison, in basically the same orientation on the garage floor:

Definitely a more elegant solution, and a lot less potential failure points! Apparently a few VW engineers were on loan to Saab/GM at the time that monstrosity was created.
    For now, I have the solenoid sitting on top of the brake booster until I figure out a better place to hide it.
    (I'd recommend removing the hard plastic vacuum line that goes from the vacuum pump to the brake booster and the manifold before working on this, to avoid breaking the hard line like I did .)
    Yazdo, I'm impressed that you were able to get this thing apart without those cable hose clamp appliers! I got one from O'Reilly for $20.

Saab(s)
    2000 Saab 9-5: Stage one tune
    Sorry to bring up a long dead thread, but I have replaced the CBV in my car multiple times now andits leaking AGAIN. I want to completely eliminate it, but it seems that nobody actually sells this part anymore. Does anyone know where I can get one, or how to make an equivalent?

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1997 NG 900 SE
    It seems ALL US suppliers no longer carry the Mackay hose set #CH3881, otherwise known as Saab OEM part 5463252. Probably want all US spec cars with ACC to continue to use CBV. You still can get the hose set, but only by ordering from Europe. Do88, a Swedish supplier, still sells it but it is silicon instead of rubber. Here is a link for it, but eBay also has it if you search: http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product...ducts_id=4816; http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAAB-9-5-98-...5WZVHB&vxp=mtr. I must have gotten mine from the last batch of Mackay hoses from eEuroparts before they stopped selling them.

Wonder if ORIO or GM applied pressure to stop the sale of the elimination hose kit from US suppliers; it was a popular seller for eEuroparts and others, may have cut into sales of CBVs too much. LOL, probably warehouses full of unsold valves, they go bad so much...

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    9-5 ARC Wagon 2002 2 t auto engine B205E
    Oem says that part coming from Australia why don't asking to the maker Mac KAY ? or debauching one of our Australian Saab enthusiast ?
    One question what about the vacuum line when you have changed ? plug in ?

Saab(s)
    2000 Saab 9-5: Stage one tune
    So after searching for a while I couldn't find one of these houses for less than $80. I decided to try and take it into my own hands and I was able to eliminate the bypass valve for less than $15. Here's the link to the thread that I made about it if anyone's interested.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh.../topics/657354