Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    00 9 5 sport combi 2.3t , 06 9 5 sport combi 2.3t , 03 9 3 Arc SS , 04 9 3 Arc SS , 06 9 3 SC ,

'00 9 5 2.3T cranks but won't start ,any advise please

It happened last night 3 AM in the morning when leaving work , got in and try to start , it wouldn't turn over just keep on cranking , any advise what should I check first? Found some info from Yahoo, about the tach bouncing when I crank it means the CPS is fine , and which fuel pump that usually goes out first the inside the fuel tank or the one under the car, Thank you in advance for any guide.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    This sounds like a bad relay or contact, worked when you parked it and wouldn't start when you cranked the engine. This gives you better than half a chance of getting it started by pulling the battery cable, popping the under hood electrical cover and rapping all the relays with your knuckles and checking all the fuses before reconnecting the battery and turning the key. You have better than 50/50 of getting it started this way but it doesn't get you fixed, or give you any idea of why it died. Does beat paying for a tow. If you have tine and a safe pace to work, check a couple of fuses and rap a couple of relays then try the key and do a couple more all the way through the box before you pull the cable.

Turning over is synonymous with cranking so I'm guessing that your starter motor worked as expected, your timing chain is still intact and that the motor has compression and doesn't run.
    When you have compression two things keep the motor from running, one is spark, the other is gas. Even if your pump didn't fire up as expected, there should have been enough pressure left in the line to pop the motor a couple of times giving the impression that it was going to start before it went off to never never land and that would mean that spark was present. All fuel pumps eventually bleed off pressure back to the tank and older pumps do this faster than new, but no pop usually means no spark and that's always electrical. If it popped off even a little before it didn't start go to the fuel system wire connections and parts.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1997 NG 900 SE
    To check if fuel pump is priming system, turn on key to start, and listen for pump to come on and stop: buzz, then stop. Under the back seat, in the middle. If that's happening, pop the hood, and just behind the valve cover under hoses, check valve, or stuff, look for a black cap. Remove the cap, depress the needle valve (Schrader valve), and if gas spurts out, enough fuel is there to start. If not, but pump comes on, check valve is suspect.

Ignition troubleshooting without a Tech 2 diagnostic tool is buy expensive components and replace them. Yeah, it sucks, but I would eliminate fuel system first.

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by southsaab; 12 April 2017 at 12:45.