Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Rally Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1980 99 GLi, 1967 96 V4

Looking for Ronal (Minilite copy) wheels for 96

I was the lucky recipient of that Hussar Blue 1967 96 V4 you may have seen pass through Bring a Trailer and/or eBay about six weeks ago. I am pleased to report that it arrived to its new home in Milwaukee, Wisconsin (from Bend, Oregon) in great shape. It was just lacking a number of fiddly details that I am working on now. In fact, everyone in the SAAB community has been welcoming and quite willing to impart knowledge to help me get up to speed on this model.

One upgrade I am interested in is a new wheel/tire package. I quickly realized that, due to the crazy 170mm x 5 bolt circle, there are only three choices: the soccer ball design (same style [different bolt circle] as what came o.e. on my 1978 99EMS I had 30 years ago), the Chomodoro (not in my top-three picks), and the Ronal Minilite-style wheel.

Yes, this Minilite copy is my first choice. Do you know of anyone who might sell me a set?

Didn't think so. That being the case, in my quest, I have found the company who could make a run of these for a number of us, but I would need to find seven or eight other interested parties to commit to a set.

If you think you may be a candidate, please let me know. Thanks!

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    Welcome to Saab World!

I saw a set of Ronal Silverspokes (the Minilite look-alikes, not exactly a copy) for the 96 in great shape for sale here in Germany. Price? 1500 Euro.

You won't see many 96 owners here however, as much as we all like that car (I do). Your best bet for a place where you can get a bunch of 96 owners to do a group buy for 96 wheels is the Vintage Saab Club of North America: VSCNA - Vintage Saab Club of North America
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    I'll double the VSCNA site. You'll find some decent stuff on their site in the classifieds. Next best bet is SaabNet.com or eBay. Though, you'll have to check all three of them frequently. The Minilites (and their copies) are pretty rare. At the same time, you might want to look at getting some 4 bolt hubs if you are interested in wheels. The 4 bolts are rare, and command a good price. But they are the same bolt pattern as on all other 4-bolt Saabs. But, as I said, they are rare because they were only on the Monte Carlos.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Rally Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1980 99 GLi, 1967 96 V4
    Thanks guys, I will post my inquiry over there at VSCNA as well. I already signed up for a two-year commitment...

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X

Looking for Ronal (Minilite copy) wheels for 96

Welcome and good luck. We need to hear more about vintage Saabs here on SaabWorld so please let us know how things are going with your 96. We're all enthusiasts here. And it is free.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    900 Aero MY1984
    Ronal Minilite 4x114,3 R15 - Písek, prodám

These are in fine condition here in Czech Republic, but they're 4x114,3 as on 99 and early 900. I know the guy who sells it, he won't give a discount but the price is about 300 euros for a set with tyres. If you want his email, message me.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    The bolt pattern on a vintage Saab is 5 x 170 mm, not to mention that there is also a massive hub they have to go around. The only way that those Minilites would ever fit is with lots and lots of work, and frankly isn't worth it. You're best bet is to hang tight for some 4-bolt hubs, or some correct pattern 5 bolt Minilites.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig