Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Chang
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '03 9-5 Aero
    Thumbs Up:   0

engine oil leaks

While inspecting the car today from above, I saw some possible leaks, but have no idea what might be the cause or where they are coming from. Can anyone give me some hint? Thanks.

I replaced the oil pressure switch a while ago when I found out it was leaking. It got better but the engine oil seems still leaking. I thought I did not secure the switch tightly enough, but saw these two places today. They are where the red arrow pointing to.

Name:  leak1.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  43.2 KBName:  leak2.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  34.0 KB

0 Not allowed!

Chang
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '03 9-5 Aero
    I checked again after work today. The area showing in the first picture was dry, so it is probably not an issue there. When I checked several days ago, it was raining, and it is probably got wet from the rain. Happy about that.

In the second picture, it is connected to a hose. Anyone know its function and what might need replaced?
    I took another picture which is easier to see the leak.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

0 Not allowed!

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Thumbs Up:   3
    As a Saab Master tech - what leak? This looks like a VERY DRY normal Saab that's being taken care of. I'd not worry about it. It's your intercooler hose having some very normal and very minimal age related seepage. In fact it's likely just dirty and not oil. Please continue to drive and not worry!

0 Not allowed!
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Chang
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '03 9-5 Aero
    Thanks, that makes me feel much better.
    I have owned the car for about 5 years, the car died on the road two times, one due to fuel pump, another due to throttle body. The DIC was also replaced around 70k several years ago. Of course, there are also other repair work done in the shop including coolant leaks. So I started to learn to work on it since last year and did several things(thermostat, oil pressure switch, oil change, etc.). Then about two weeks ago, I had to buy another DIC as it is failing again. I started to get a little bit over concerned as my knowledge about the car is still so limited. Hope it will get better and the car would last a bit longer.

0 Not allowed!

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Thumbs Up:   3
    What's the year and mileage? I'd imagine it has MANY more then a few years left in it. I service a few with nearly 300,000 miles on them and they run and drive great still.

0 Not allowed!
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Chang
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '03 9-5 Aero
    It is a 2003 9-5 Aero, it currently has about 125k

0 Not allowed!

mdb99@bellsouth.net
    Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    Thumbs Up:   13
    The Car Quest DIC is not 300.00. It is a very good deal.

0 Not allowed!

Chang
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '03 9-5 Aero
    That is where I got it instead of paying eeuroparts 400+ thanks to the helpful posts on the forum.

0 Not allowed!