Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    99 SAAB 9-5 B235E M/T

CEL OBDII codes P0340 P1300 P0300

Hi,

these story is related to thread with fuel pressure regulator exchange. I have tested today the fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator, they are both working properly.

A local mechanic suggested today that my DIC should be repaired.

Has anybody experience with suggested procedure?

Thanks in advance
    Andrej

-------------------------------------------------------
    99 SAAB 9-5 2.3 T , B235E, 160k mi, premium gas, 4qt fully synthetic Castrol Edge 10W-40 , rest Marvel Mystery Oil
    Last edited by wte; 30 March 2013 at 15:53.

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    I believe those code all relate to a bad DIC and/or wrong plugs in the car. Car Quest has them for 300. Be sure to get OEM not a knock off.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    99 SAAB 9-5 B235E M/T
    OEM DIC, make SEM was installed in 2010, didn't last 3 years. SAAB Cadillac in JAX charged at that time some 500$ with labour.

NGK BCPR 6ES-11 spark plugs are in use 3.5k miles only.
    Against all suggestions from Mike and various found in different forums I have ordered today a DIC tune up kit from eEuroparts 28349955KIT.

I will post my experience and follow up.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    99 SAAB 9-5 B235E M/T
    My luck ran out today. Just after starting my car and driving for about 100 feet, my car just shut off. I tried to start it but it just cranked but no start. I opened up the engine and cleaned the spark plugs in hopes to revive it, but with no luck. I waited about half an hour and tried to start it again but still no luck. In desperate attempts, I took off the DIC and opened it up. Inside I found that the 630V capacitor's light blue housing was cracked. From that I can confirm that something is wrong with the DIC.

Now, I have to wait for 2 days for my new DIC to arrive (((

Does anyone maybe know a fellow in Jacksonville, Florida who has a spare DIC and would be willing to lend it to me for two days?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    99 SAAB 9-5 B235E M/T
    OK. So I have decide I am not gonna be a backstabber like some guys on SAAB forums who ask for advice on how to fix their car's issues but then do NOT post their results >

Anyways... thank you Mike Brennan and Frank Wulfers for all of your advice on how to resolve my issues. To clarify my story I am gonna post the long version of it. It started 5 months ago when I bought my SAAB from craigslist. It had the Check Engine light with the code P0340 coming on and off. After some searching I decided and put a new Crankshaft position sensor into my 9-5. After reseting the CEL, it did not come on for a while (50 miles), but then it came on again. After some more research I came across that P0340 means Camshaft position sensor (NOT CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR - not the same!!!). I then found out that my SAAB does not have the camshaft position sensor and that it uses the programming in the DIC (Direct Ignition Cassette or Ignition Discharge Module (IDM)) as the Camshaft Position Sensor. Because the DIC costs about $200, I was not willing to buy it so I just drove with the P0340 on for 5 months. After that period of time passed, my car started to have hiccups and eventually stopped on the road and wouldn't start. It cranked but no start. After some more research I then finally bit the bullet and bought the DIC with new OEM spark plugs. This solved all of my issues. No CEL, no P0340. My car runs now like a champ and even has a bit better fuel economy! Because I am not a big fan of spending a lot of money for OEM parts, even though I know they are better, I bought the aftermarket DIC from eEuroparts, made in Taiwan by ProParts. The DIC works for now and will hopefully work for a while. The only thing you need to be careful if you buy any sort of DIC is that when you change the DIC you also need to change the spark plugs even if they were changed in the near past. You also need to change your spark plugs every 30,000 miles and always apply dielectric grease when you are changing them. From what I have heard, if you do that, you will be fine with the DIC from ProParts.
    Last edited by wte; 30 March 2013 at 15:47.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Thanks for the feedback, it'll help others in the future. I think we'll be curious to know how that ProParts DIC will hold up over time. Good luck.

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    I am up in Brunswick and have some spare DIC's. What you say about the plugs and DIC is often true. However a factory DIC will handle new plugs. However, I do not change my plugs if they are still good. I clean and re gap then grease the DIC tip and re install. So far so go on 4 Saabs. I bought a Taiwan DIC from a guy on SC who offered them up for 100 I would give him feed back after 6 months. It did hold up. I swapped it back to the oem and now keep it as a spare. I also bought a oem from car quest when they were 250 and that is still in the box. Glad you got your stuff straightened out.