Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    John Jardine
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1991 900S convert, 1985 900s 4door,1985 900 Turbo

Timing Chain needs to be changed

We have three Saabs that I think should have there timing chains changed. I hope to roll chains in with the engine still in car. Anybody done this lately? I got new chains and valve cover gaskets coming.

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion
    There is a nice, handy tutorial about how to do this, here. We actually have tons of tutorials in the tutorials section. That is why I call myself the tutorial bot. The chain tutorial was done by a very good guy, who's been through perhaps the hardest timing chain change in the history of SAAB, so you'll do great.

It's pretty straightforward. I recommend loosening the cam caps, rolling the chain in using only the crankshaft, and tightening and timing everything up at the end, the way the tutorial does it. Turning the whole engine, camshafts and all, while you insert the chain (as per the "official" dealer instructions on some other websites) is very difficult without special tools. If you're doing three cars, it will be worth it to buy a "master link" with a spring clip to clip the old chain to the new, rather than wiring the two chains together.

Some hardware stores sell such things. Just remember that a link like that can't be run with the engine. The spring clip would fall off and the link would fail in short order. Use the master link that came with your new chain for the final joining.
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

John Jardine
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1991 900S convert, 1985 900s 4door,1985 900 Turbo
    Thanks for the 16v timing chain help. Now is any body done the same thing on a 8v 1986 900s?