Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5

car wont start

I could duse some helpwith any ideas. Friday morning gmy car started then stopped. Figured it was the traction control. I have been resetting it when its cold inthe mornrings. But this timme the car wouldnt start at all. Here is whats happemning now. Dash lights wont come on, sunroof wont close, lheater panel wont come on. And the car wont start. All other electrical works and the engine efan comes on but that is it. I have a 2001 9.5. So does anyone have any ideas on what i need to look at. I have also pulled the baterry cable as to reset the computer and nothing.

Thanks matt

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Does the starter even trigger?

Could be a dying battery. Enough juice to power some electronics, but not enough to get the car to actually start. Have you checked the voltage across the battery?
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5
    I havent yet but i charged it yesterday afterwork. Hut whats throwing me on this is that the sunroof wont close. And dthe starter wont turn over too.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    My guess is the battery is dead and won't accept a charge, hence why electronics won't work (well, the ones that require more power).
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Could be a bad cell(s) in the battery - which means no matter how hard or long you charge it - it's never going to have adequate power to supply to the car under a load or stationary. START with taking the battery out and having that checked. If bad or weak - replace. Then see what happens. I have a few idea's what else could be causing you issues - but FIRST make sure the battery is in tip top shape.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5
    Battery is good to go. Took it in when it stopped raining and it is perfect. So now stiol the same thing. No sunroof power, no dash, no heater or ac stuff. What works. Power windows, lights nterior and exterior, power seats, radio.

Jeffrey
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    To me - it sounds like you have a bad ignition switch - which is located beneath the ignition cylinder. Not as common in the 9-5 to fail - but not impossible. This is the main power distribution from the ignition/battery. Think of it like the power line coming to your house - if it looses a phase, parts of your house will work - other's won't.

That is my educated guess at your problem.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5
    Ok, i can see that for not startingb but y wouldnt the rest work? Im thinking ttghere has to be something in comon for those things. For all of them to go out at once includingthe not starting.

Jeffrey
    Saab(s)
    Cause it's the MAIN switch to the car - I just explained why.