Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Mike
    Saab(s)
    1973 96
    Thumbs Up:   0

P0300 and P1171 Codes 1996 900SE

P0300 = Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
    P1171 = Lambda Control - Closed Loop, Lean Mixture

I'm was throwing these codes simultaneously. Car had been running rough earlier in the day when the check engine light came on. Grabbed my OBD II, read the codes and cleared them just to see if they'd come back. Low and behold, car is running fine again and codes haven't come back after about 30 min of driving.

I know this is typically attributed to a vacuum leak, but I replaced all the vacuum lines a little over a year ago with new silicone ones when I was throwing P1171. I couldn't find any bad ones this time around.

Next up is checking out the plugs. Hopefully it ain't the DIC.

Any other areas that might cause these to go off.

0 Not allowed!
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Saab(s)
    1996 NG900 2.0 Turbo automatic
    A bit off topic, but what kind of OBD II scanner are you using ? I own a 1996 NG Turbo automatic. Do you think it would read errors on my cars aswell ?

0 Not allowed!

Mike
    Saab(s)
    1973 96
    1996 was when all cars in the US had to be equipped with an OBD II port. I'm not sure about other countries. Do you have the port? Mine is located at the top of the drivers side wheel well. Right above your feet. If you have the port, I don't see why it wouldn't be able to read codes from it. But then again, a different country could have completely different thigns.

Any who, I'm using a cheap Autel MaxiScan (Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBDII Vehicles : Amazon.com : Automotive). It's simple and works great. Only complaint is that it only has two buttons, so figuring out what button does what (it changes based on the menu) can be a bit confusing.

0 Not allowed!
    Free SaabWorld Stickers

Saab(s)
    1996 NG900 2.0 Turbo automatic
    I do have the OBDII port, but since every site that sells these gizmos says that they only read cars from 2001 or newer, I didn't bother. So you can imagine I'm really psyched about the fact that yours works. Does it return gearbox or ACC codes aswell?

0 Not allowed!

Mike
    Saab(s)
    1973 96
    I believe the 2001 comment refers to the ability of the scan tool to actually know what the code means. So, not just P1171, but random misfires as well.

0 Not allowed!

Mike
    Saab(s)
    1973 96
    So the check engine light has come on again, this time it was only P1171. Car was admittedly running a bit rough. So I cleared the code and started it up again, and now all is well. The plugs are a little fouled, so I've got some coming soon, so hopefully it will get rid of this intermittent annoyance.

0 Not allowed!
    Free SaabWorld Stickers

Saab(s)
    1999 9-3
    My first post, new member. I have an OTC 3109 OBD II scanner which reads my 1999 9-3. Inexpensive; the Launch Basic Scanner (Reader VI) works well too. I had the same circumstances around hesitation, stumble, flashing 'check engine' light, especially after cold start. Determined through data-stream (freeze frame on scanner and live data), that the front O2 sensor wasn't giving a good signal. As the car crossed from open to closed loop, it looked for the O2 signal, didn't see it, seemed to have a hard time with fuel trim, stumbled, pull over, restart, usually fine. Clear codes, goes away for a couple of days. Replaced front O2 sensor, fine since. Also replaced plugs first, but this didn't fix it. My 10 cents

0 Not allowed!

Saab(s)
    1997 Saab 900 s

Saab

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
    1996 was when all cars in the US had to be equipped with an OBD II port. I'm not sure about other countries. Do you have the port? Mine is located at the top of the drivers side wheel well. Right above your feet. If you have the port, I don't see why it wouldn't be able to read codes from it. But then again, a different country could have completely different thigns.

Any who, I'm using a cheap Autel MaxiScan (Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBDII Vehicles : Amazon.com : Automotive). It's simple and works great. Only complaint is that it only has two buttons, so figuring out what button does what (it changes based on the menu) can be a bit confusing.
    Saab was bought by GM in 1989 GM bought half of the saab company and in 2000 bought the other half

0 Not allowed!