Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jose Mateos
    it is what it is...... josemateos's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 Linear/TDO4 swap Stg 2

Power Seats issues

I have a 2001 95 2.3t (non-aero). That's not really important as my question is regarding the electrical seats. I had my memory buttons for my seats sticking so I took off the trim and pushed out the memory buttons and cleaned them with water...reinstalled and then the next day the buttons were stuck again. I did this process again and used alcohol...thought it would be better because it would evaporate faster?? Anyhow after I put it back together the M (memory) button got stuck..it was probably stuck for a wk. Every once in a while the seat would move, but not smoothly...it would move, stop, move, stop, ect...anyhow didn't know if anyone could throw some knowledge at me?

At this point the seat is all the way down and I can't access the torque head screws....I think I may be able to with a wobble socket and some other tools. Anyhow, I checked the fuse by the drivers side door and it's fine. Wasn't sure if this could be because of another fuse or rely? The passenger seat still moves. I'm thinking that if I can get it off and unhook the memory part and just leave the power seat (up down back and forth) part hooked up that it might work. But before I start trying to get it apart I'd like to know if anyone has seen this in the past. Thx!
    Saabfisticated people aren't just smart.....they're fast

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    The move stop move stop is a symptom of a BAD switch. Good news is they used that switch from like 1993 - 2009 lol 9000's used the same part as did OG9-3 and ng900's. Very common part to find cheap - expect to pay like $20 for a used one. Easy fix!
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Jose Mateos
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsside42 View Post
    The move stop move stop is a symptom of a BAD switch. Good news is they used that switch from like 1993 - 2009 lol 9000's used the same part as did OG9-3 and ng900's. Very common part to find cheap - expect to pay like $20 for a used one. Easy fix!
    Very much appreciated...I think that may be the issue as the motor had plenty of power....I just took off the memory unit and unhooked it to see if it would work without it, it doesn't? Do you know if it will work without it by chance? Also, DO YOU MEAN THE SWITCH FOR THE MEMORY OR THE SWITCH FOR MOVE THE SEAT? I believe there are two switches for moving the seat...1 up and down back and forth, and one that leans the vertical positioning. Could you plz clarify...thx!!!

Jose Mateos
    Saab(s)
    A bit of a repeat but added info. I really need to get this figured out so I can fix my blend door....it's may, and it's freaking snowing in KS...how crazy is that...it's really coming down too....THE END IS NEAR

I have a 2001 95 2.3t
    (non-aero). That's not really important as my question is regarding the electrical
    seats. I had my memory buttons for my seats sticking so I took off the trim and
    pushed out the memory buttons and cleaned them with water...reinstalled and then
    the next day the buttons were stuck again (but the seat was still operating). I
    did this process again and used alcohol...thought it would be better because it
    would evaporate faster and clean better?? Anyhow after I put it back together
    the M (memory) button got stuck….it was probably stuck for a wk. Every once in a
    while the seat would move, but not smoothly...it would move, stop, move, stop,
    similar to what you guys have experienced. Now the seat won’t move at all, even
    with the memory button out??? After it stopped working I put some Fader Lube,
    which is stuff I use on my guitar amps to fix crackles…it lubricates and helps
    electrical connectivity, the memory buttons now move freely, BUT the seat is
    still not moving. I don’t want to buy a switch if that isn’t what it is, and at
    this pt I'm not really sure which switch it is. I've found both memory and the
    actual switches that move the seat on Ebay, but again don't want to waste any
    $$ Anyhow
    didn't know if anyone could throw some knowledge at me?

I checked the fuse by the driver’s side door and it's fine. Wasn't sure if this could
    be because of another fuse or rely? The passenger seat still moves.
    THX!

I think that may be the issue as the motor had plenty of power....I just took off
    the memory unit and unhooked it to see if it would work without it, it doesn't?
    Do you know if it is supposed to work without the memory switch connected by
    chance? Also, DO YOU MEAN THE SWITCH FOR THE MEMORY OR THE SWITCH FOR MOVE
    THE SEAT? There are two switches for moving the seat...1 up and down back and
    forth, and one that leans the vertical positioning. Could you plz
    clarify...thx!!!

Additional info:Was also wondering if I could use
    my passenger side for a guinea pig, figured the switches look exactly the same
    since they aren’t directional….the only difference I can tell is that the wiring
    comes in from opposite sides. Also was wondering if it could be the black box
    under the seat or more likely the switch that moves the seat…I've heard people
    say in the 900s that the wiring actually comes undone...again mine is a 01
    9-5

Luis R
    Saab(s)
    03' 9-5 Linear wagon
    I can say that for the memory to work the rest of the switches need to work as well. They are tied into each other and separating them will not work if operation of seat is needed. How do you think the seat moves when you push 1 button? By memory...so its like a lil ECM for the seat. Take the memory controller out and use ELECTRONIC parts cleaner from HomeDepot. It's a spray and its labeled as contact cleaner in blue can. Thoroughly and liberally spray it and let shit in front of air for several hours...then re-install and check function. You might have fried it when using water to clean electronic parts.

Jose Mateos
    Saab(s)

Power Seat Issues continued.....

OK, so I've ordered a new power seat switch with the buttons that move the seat, it didn't fix it. Then I ordered a new memory switch with the buttons (when I say new I mean new to me ordered on ebay used) that didn't fix it! I haven't tried unhooking the battery to reset ECU or possibly the power seat memory box/"ECU"...but I don't think that will have any affect, but I will probably try it later today. As far as the fuses, they were the 1st things I checked. So now for my further questions....
    1. Has anyone ever replaced the seat memory unit that is under the drivers seat?
    2. Does anyone know if there is a relay for the memory unit under the drivers seat? I see a relay on the passenger side, but not the drivers side
    3. Will any replacement seat memory box/"ECU" work if it's out of a 1999-2009 95?
    4. Should I try unplugging my battery or will that have any affect?

After investigating this seat issue I've discovered there are two different kinds of seat switches they put into the 95. One has a rounded plug and the other a squared plug. The rounded plug only has one cord coming off the switch that moves the seats as to where the other, more popular, switch has two plugs coming off the switch that moves the seats. The second set of wires goes to the seat memory button. On the rounded plug there is just one plug going directly to the box under the seat, and the memory plug is also coming off the memory box under the seat. On the squared plug only one cord comes off the memory box to the switch that moves the seats, and the switch that moves the seats has a plug going to the memory button switch. Sorry if this is getting confusing. Below are pics of both plugs, mine is the 1st one with the rounded plug that only has one plug coming off of it. I thought this could possibly make a difference with whether or not the switches would work with the memory button switch unplugged. Again thx for any of your help. ONCE THIS DANG SEAT IS FIXED I'LL HAVE ACCESS TO MY BLEND DOOR SO THAT I CAN REPAIR IT.....UGGHH!!
    Name:  rounded plug, one rounded plug.jpg
Views: 3671
Size:  4.0 KBName:  power seat switch, two plugs.jpg
Views: 3666
Size:  2.7 KB

Jose Mateos
    Saab(s)
    [FONT=verdana]Additional question

Do you know if this could be an issue that could be fixed with a Tech 2 scanner? I was told by a shop that they might be able to fix it with a scanner? Would also like to know the answers to the other questions if anyone knows the answers. Thx![/FONT]

Luis R
    Saab(s)
    03' 9-5 Linear wagon
    Both seats have relays...Its a bosch with these #'s. 12V 20/30A
    0 332 209 159
    It is grey in color...hope this helps. Maybe just swap it over from Pas to Drv and see if seat works then. I have seat controller but I do believe the non rounded end.

Jose Mateos
    Saab(s)
    I'm sorry but I don't see a relay under the drivers seat? I see one under the passenger seat but cannot locate one under the drivers seat....I'm to the pt of going crazy!! I've bought both switches (memory, and seat movement control switch) neither item fixed the problem. Do you think I need to unhook the battery cable? I will probably do it anyhow although I hate doing that as every time I do it I have to reset all the settings on my head unit and pair my phone to it all over....anyway. I found this pic showing a relay for the drivers seat (see below) can anyone confirm if this is the correct location for the drivers side power seat relay. The seat is all the way down and very far back so I can't get my head in to see the back side of it so I will probably have to remove it. Can someone pt me to some instructions for driver side seat removal. I was also told that the airbag is connected to the memory control unit under the seat, I was able to get the screws undone and cut all the zip ties, I thought if I could get it out I could check for any shorts or disconnects, but it feels like there is something plugged into the back of unit keeping me from getting it out to where I can see it. I don't want to pull it and trigger the airbag or something. Can anyone confirm if there is anything connected to the back side of the memory unit under the seat? A diagram would be very helpful if someone can find one. Thx!

Name:  Screen shot 2011-07-17 at 14.40.58.png
Views: 3598
Size:  10.2 KB

Jose Mateos
    Saab(s)

Does anyone know where the power seat relay is for the drivers side?

If you look thru this thread you'll see all the things I've tried to do to fix my drivers seat. Basically ordered new switches, now I'm at the pt where I'm about to order the memory module, but 1st I'd like to know two things.....

1st where is the relay for the drivers seat....if there is one

2nd , what is the gray and red clip under the drivers seat? Does it have something to do with the air bags or is it a relay? Below is a pic

Last night I replaced my stop arm and started testing the seat. I got 12 Volts from the passenger side, which still works, and nothing on the drivers side except 2.5 Volts which I don't think could be enough to move the seat. At this point I don't know what else to do besides replace the memory module, UNLESS THIS IS AN ISSUE THAT CAN ONLY BE FIXED WITH A TECH II SCANNER OR BY THE DEALER?

Any Help would be Greatly Greatly appreciated.

1st pic is far away and the second pic is closer, I'm needing to know what the gray and red clip is....I don't want to mess around and detonate an airbag
    Name:  under seat.jpg
Views: 3755
Size:  37.1 KBName:  seat.jpg
Views: 3643
Size:  41.2 KB