Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

SAAB 9-5 07 Aero door mirror change.. 4 wires insted of 2 ? what to do? PICS+

Hi all,

I have ordered a wide angle correct size mirror glass with heating element form EBay and when I tried to change it I was surprised.. I have three wires attached to my current driver side wing mirror glass - black, brown and Violet.

Black and Brown can be removed and are for heating.
    Violet however is non removable and it goes into the mirror plastic from its edge.

P.S. I just discovered there are 4 wires.. 2 for heating and two God knows for what.

Current Mirror is self "dimming" or polarized.. not sure as it is in brown tone all the time .. but does it has something to do with an extra wire ?

How can I replace my current mirror with new one, which has got only two wires for heating?

SAAB WIS has nothing about this in mirrors section.. it only has standard two heating wires mentioned.
    Last edited by Martins Lezdins; 13 April 2013 at 19:22. Reason: Update

Saab(s)
    2011 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch

SAAB 9-5 07 Aero Combi wing mirror change.. why three wires ?

Can you post a picture of the current mirror and the replacement mirror? I'm pretty sure that extra wire is for the auto dimming feature but it should be removable...
    2011 Saab 9-3 Aero XWD Performance by Hirsch "Wolffe"

2007 9-5 2.3 HOT Aero Combi 60Th Anniversary just in case.

Links to images are here:

http://imageshack.us/a/img837/8559/img2192b.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img202/9387/img2193dz.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lauzze View Post
    Can you post a picture of the current mirror and the replacement mirror? I'm pretty sure that extra wire is for the auto dimming feature but it should be removable...
    I did.. anyone has an idea how to replace it?

Saab(s)

Sorry, it wasn't showing the pictures when I looked at this thread before. Definitely looks like auto dim wiring but on our '04, it has a connector like the defroster does.

Sorry, it wasn't showing the pictures when I looked at this thread before. Definitely looks like auto dim wiring but on our '04, it has a connector like the defroster does.
    Ok, but can I cut em ?

Saab(s)

I don't see why not. Worst case is you'll have to do a little wiring repair if you ever decide to go back to auto dimming.

I don't see why not. Worst case is you'll have to do a little wiring repair if you ever decide to go back to auto dimming.
    You suggest I can cut em off and just leave there? There will be no effect on any systems or circuits.. fault codes etc.. ?