Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.8T V6 Turbo Convertible Aero

Coolant film on windows

Hi SW

I have had on and off film on the inside windows and I assume it is antifreeze or a/c related. I had replaced the coolant overflow tank and hoses a few months ago and thought it might have just been the sweet smell from that leak.

Now the smell and film is 'greater'. Does this model even have a heater core? I have been researching and just see a "2006 SAAB 9-3 93 HEATER AC A/C CONDENSER EVAPORATOR CORE ASSEMBLY SEDAN 2.0T
    ". In listings. Appears to be a cluster of all hvac functions? Heater electric and not coolant driven?

I believe must be a small leak inside under dash and would like to examine but want to know what to look for partwise.

Any direction appreciated. I have searched the forum and found a lot of 9-5 info but know the 9-3 has some different ways to accomplish standard vehicle duties :-)

Thanks

Saab(s)

2006 93 2.8 convertible Aero Window film

Topic should be coolant film on inside of windows???? Sorry. Can't edit title on tapatalk. In case anyone is thinking window tint question. Thanks.

Saab(s)
    Just a follow up. I had low coolant come on today and thought I would take apart the glove box and inspect the heater core. The good news is I didn't find any sign of leak or even any stains. The middle of the photo shows the metal core. No stains or coolant spots thru the plastic casing surrounding the core. I didn't want to drain and completely remove the core. I would have if I saw signs of a problem.

So I am just chalking the low coolant to living in Phoenix and a hot v6. I only add about an inch to the overflow bottle from the cold mark filling up to the hot mark less than once a year.

I assume something internal to engine or turbo heat and evap the the bottle cap. Never had any unusual oil colors when changing or checking the oil. No leaks under the hood and searched throughout the cavities of the engine bay and underneath.

Knock on wood. Have to just live and let live for now.

( image wouldn't post from my ipad)

harry
    Saab Enthusiast SatchSportSedan's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    9-3 Sport Sedan B207E 150Hp

Coolant smell - NO Leak or Loss

Quote Originally Posted by simpleaz View Post
    Just a follow up. I had low coolant come on today and thought I would take apart the glove box and inspect the heater core. The good news is I didn't find any sign of leak or even any stains. The middle of the photo shows the metal core. No stains or coolant spots thru the plastic casing surrounding the core. I didn't want to drain and completely remove the core. I would have if I saw signs of a problem.

So I am just chalking the low coolant to living in Phoenix and a hot v6. I only add about an inch to the overflow bottle from the cold mark filling up to the hot mark less than once a year.

I assume something internal to engine or turbo heat and evap the the bottle cap. Never had any unusual oil colors when changing or checking the oil. No leaks under the hood and searched throughout the cavities of the engine bay and underneath.

Knock on wood. Have to just live and let live for now.
    Hello, I had similar issues.

Only sweet smell, but obvious no visible leakage or need for topping-up coolant level frequently,...

Changed (yellow) cap, with a new OE-one, less smells, slower level degradation.

In my opinion what you smell, is the pressure relief after a ride, hot engine, pressurised cooling system.
    NO real harm or engine problem.

Hope this helps, Harry.
    Everything is simple ,regarding time spend

Saab(s)
    Thanks Harry. I thinks it is just normal use and the system. I put a new cap on when I replaced the overflow tank a couple of years ago. I did just complete a 1200 miles road trip and the low coolant came on the way home. I just topped it off and will keep an eye on it. I will probably order replacement hoses to avoid a weak hose at some point. Just hit 77,777