Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2002 Saab 9-5 Aero, 2005 Saab 9-5 Arc

Coolant Bypass Valve Mounting

I am the new owner of a 2005 9-5 Arc.

The heater was not working properly and so thanks to information on this site I was suspect of the Coolant Bypass Valve.

Not having much time to work on it until this weekend, I undid the wiring to be able to view the valve (view is a relative term since there is not a lot of room back there) and found the valve to be laying loose not mounted to the firewall and the vacuum hose to it was bent so that no vacuum could pass through it.

The valve itself was attached to a piece of metal colored the same as the car but the metal was not attached to the firewall and did not appear to be broken or bent as if it had been pulled from the firewall.

Back on January 28, 2012, Juze posted "One set of instructions (Frank Wulfers) say to drill out the rivets and replace the solenoid valve as well, is it strictly necessary? When I reclipped the CBV to the clip that the solenoid valve was attached to, it was not attached to the firewall like it's supposed to. I'll take a good look later when it warms up a bit more outside".

I couldn't find anywhere where Juze posted what he found or how he fixed the attachement but I'm hoping he or others that have run into this could provide guidance on how I might best be able to attached the Coolant Bypass Valve before this weekend when I will have time to address this.

On another note, the heater now works so clearing the kink in the vacuum line seems to have fixed the heat problem for now.

Thanks for any help that can be provided,

Tom

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Hello and welcome. I recently checked my CBV for any leaks and it felt like it wasn't attached to the firewall either. My 2005 9-5 has 51K miles so the CBV most likely hasn't been replaced yet. It doesn't look like there is real need for the CBV to be attached to anything besides the hoses.

Saab(s)
    2002 Saab 9-5 Aero, 2005 Saab 9-5 Arc
    Frank,

Thanks for the reply!

It just seems strange to me that the valve can just flop around back there.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on whether this is acceptable or not?

Thanks

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 Sport Combi w/ Sport Pkg
    I just did the CBV, mine was zip tied to ... I think it's wiring harness just under and behind. There was some small unit that clips together w the CBV.

The 3 coolant hoses do a pretty good job of holding everything in place. I replaced the zip tie as close to where I had removed the first one as I could.

Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 Arc 2006 9-3 SS
    I just replaced mine and the CBV was zip tied to the wiring harness behind it, which is how it is described in the WIS as well. The bracket that holds the electrical solenoid portion just slides up into the valve body in the back. There is a slot for it. No need to drill the solenoid rivets out unless the solenoid itself has to be replaced (the instructions in the WIS seem to assume you are doing that, but I don't think it is necessary in most cases - usually it seems to be the CBV that is leaking).

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    How does one know if the solenoid needs replacing? Can I test it any way? I have my multi meter and a test light with me.
    I just replaced the bypass valve and flushed the system a few weeks back and now No Heat. (I know it's August... My wife wants heat when we drive through the night on our way home form PEI.)
    I checked for codes and came up 0. So I am at a loss now. Air bubble, Stuck thermostat, Did I plug the heater core when I flushed?, The AC works...?
    I know I put the hoses on the right way (the way they were on the old one that gave heat) when I switched the bypass valve.