Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    @tt95
    Thanks for sharing, sure sounds much easier than trying to do it the other way.

@finding
    I have not seen any official instructions from Saab on how to splice into the wiring so I doubt you will find it in those instructions.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    I installed my hitch yesterday. Yes those foam plugs are handy for getting the bolt and piece of metal in. I couldn't get at the one foam plug on the pass side because of wiring. It is easy to pull the bold through with a thin wire.

I like the way U-Haul puts the mark on the hitch. You can almost here the uuuuhhhh? I'm going to paint it and all the bangs and scratches on it...? black.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finding41 View Post
    One thing about the wire harness hook up. I thought it was supposed to be a 7 way plug. This is the only extra plug I could find in my storage area. It's at the very back on the pass side. Is this the one I should get a harness and plug to fit?
    Yes, that's the plug for connecting the trailer harness.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Thanks Frank. I scrolled up and saw yours and Ahah!

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    I tried my new hitch tho other day. It works great! I couldn't be more pleased with how the car pulled my 4x7 utility trailer and my 26' sailboat (2250lb). I just moved the boat around the yard at the yacht club so I could cut the grass under it. You could hardly tell it was there.
    I have to undo the modification that a PO did to the tong of the boat trailer. He lengthened it by 4' just by welding a tube to the top of the old tong tube. Raising it 3" is not the best idea in the world. It lowers the front of the boat trailer too much for the car.
    Her is a picture or two. (The boat is a bit of a mess as I am stripping the topside paint the same guy that "fixed" the trailer put on. Right over the dirt he was trying to hide.)
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 Wagon 2.3T I4 (B235E)
    I'm looking to buy one of these hitches for my 2001 9-5 wagon - preferably used, and if you're within reasonable distance of the Seattle area, I'll come to pick it up. Thanks!
    2001 9-5 Wagon

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    There sold at Uhaul under there name for $199 Canadian. I happened across that when I checked the pdf of the drawings. They just put there sticker on over the manufactures. Just check there site. They have 2 different ones. (The cheaper one is only graded for 2000lb. Stay away form that one.)
    finding41
    Marty Jackson
    www.northchannelcharters.com

Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 SE Wagon
    New member here (long time member on "the other" forum tho). I just installed the draw tite hitch and seemed to have a problem with the ball mount (towbar) that came with the kit. I can't seem to insert the ball mount all the way so that the holes line up. Also it's a bit PITA trying to pull it out. Did you guys put some grease while inserting the ball mount? Also, it seems that ball mount is a bit short to fully clear the bumper? I only plan to use the hitch to pull small utility trailers from time to time. Thanks for your insight.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    I had trouble inserting an adapter that I used with a bike rack. I thought it was the adapter and used a metal file to remove some of the paint. After that, it goes in all the way but still can be hard to remove. I think I also used the file on the inside of the hitch receiver and sprayed with WD40.

My ball mount that I already had is also a bit short. It clears the bumper but there is not a whole lot of space left. I used it with a previous sailboat trailer on previous Saab and didn't have any issues. If yours doesn't clear the bumper, your only choice is to find a longer mount.

Or perhaps get something like this so the ball will be a little bit higher and possibly be just above the bumper.

Name:  7845-curt-class-iii-fusion-trailer-hitch-ball-mount.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  17.2 KB

Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 SE Wagon
    Thanks Wulf! I will try a longer ball mount first.