Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Great write-up and pictures, thanks for helping others who want to do this install. I combined this and your other thread into this main thread so it will be easy for others to find this information. Happy trailering.

Saab(s)
    02 9-5 Wagon 2.3t Auto
    I finally got a bit of a test run today. Drove around town for about a hour. No problems with the car or the SID acting funny. All though I can feel the draw bar jerking a little.

Between the trailer and the bike I'm around 1200 pounds. I hit just a very short stretch of highway doing 70mph. Then I seen a State cop and had to back it down. Thought he had me doing 70 in a 55,,,,lol. I don't have a plate on the trailer yet so the highway test is going to have to wait.

I'm definitely going to have to deck the trailer. The mesh floor is a joke. I got lucky and the rear wheel landed on a cross member or I would not have been able to haul the bike. But that member did bow a little. So I got to do something. I think I'm just going to go with OSB plywood for now and treat it.

Saab(s)
    9000 Aero, 9-5 Aero
    Powered converter Question Draw-Tite customer service says to use the Tow Ready 119179/80 ModuLite Protector. Got that, but run a positive wire from the trunk to the battery ? The 10 pin connector #258 under the load floor, pin 9 (Red) is fed by a 30a fuse #A. for trailer lights. Could that be used instead of a long wire to battery? Roger

Saab(s)
    02 9-5 Wagon 2.3t Auto
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero9 View Post
    Powered converter Question Draw-Tite customer service says to use the Tow Ready 119179/80 ModuLite Protector. Got that, but run a positive wire from the trunk to the battery ? The 10 pin connector #258 under the load floor, pin 9 (Red) is fed by a 30a fuse #A. for trailer lights. Could that be used instead of a long wire to battery? Roger
    They recommended that one to me also. But couldn't say the one I chose wouldn't work. I just didn't want to deal with running a wire to the battery. Like you I thought about using that red wire. They recommended using a 10 amp fuse.

The fuse is marked "trailer". I kinda thought there's no way that just lights would be rated 30 amps. I figured that was for a brake controller. If you have found out otherwise please let me know.

I figured if the OEM one wasn't powered that's good enough for me. And the one I made has no issues.

So go for it and let us know how it works out.

Are you making up a new plug like I did. Or are you just cut and splicing wires?

Saab(s)
    9000 Aero, 9-5 Aero
    Yeah, for brake controller and power to a caravan, AC, ect. IRC, OEM was not powered. Saab #12787869 is a drawtite module. Sorry, I 'dinna understand your new connector Be nice to find a #258 10 pin male connector. Instead of splicing.

Saab(s)
    02 9-5 Wagon 2.3t Auto
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero9 View Post
    Yeah, for brake controller and power to a caravan, AC, ect. IRC, OEM was not powered. Saab #12787869 is a drawtite module. Sorry, I 'dinna understand your new connector Be nice to find a #258 10 pin male connector. Instead of splicing.
    You must have missed this,,,lol. But you have to have special crimpers.

http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=32633

Saab(s)
    02 9-5 Wagon 2.3t Auto
    Here's the same thread with a little more info. Ya know. There's a guy selling these modules ready made plug and play,,,lol.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=611850

Saab(s)
    9000 Aero, 9-5 Aero
    Thanks, will add to next order along with the 666 relay Relay #101E100012 been wanting.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 Aero Sport Combi

PSA: Drawtite 36286

- If you have one of these hitches on your car and live in the rust belt, you should check it closely for rust. They tend the rust from the inside out and so may look just fine on a quick inspection. The hitch on my 2007 9-5 that originally came from PA had rusted all the way through the main tube on the right side, and the rest of the tube was paper thin as well.

Attachment 17408Name:  IMG_20200312_122405_01.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  100.0 KB

I previously had a 2005 wagon with the same hitch on it that was exposed to Michigan roads for 2 winters. The new owner who is a good friend took it off to fit a sport muffler and it didnt look a whole lot better than the above photo.

That being said, I need a hitch for my 2007 so I attempted to purchase a Reese Towpower 06136 hitch which is the EXACT same hitch as the Drawtite 36286. Both are produced by Horizon, and have identical ratings, (300lb tongue weight and 3500 lb towing) but the Reese was usually sold for $5-10 less.

My order was cancelled a week later with the reason being that the Reese Towpower 06136 is no longer being produced. I tried to contact Horizon to inquire if the Drawtite is also out of production but I was unable to get in touch with them.

Horizon owns both Drawtite and Reese, so it's likely that both are no longer available.

I ended up with a Curt 11831 hitch instead. It is more expensive and has a lower rating (200/2500), but after looking at it, I would trust it over the drawtite. It is made from similar or possibly thicker steel than the drawtite, and it attaches on the driver's side with 2 bolts, not just 1. You do need to lower the exhaust to install it as the front driver's side bolt is blocked by the muffler. Otherwise the installation is the same as the Drawtite.

In my opinion, this hitch is stronger than the Drawtite and could tow just as much, but I suspect that Curt was just a little more conservative with their rating. Having once towed a trailer in the 3500lb range with my old 9-5, I would never do that again. I was hard on the car and on me. The car was perfectly happy towing an approximately 2000lb trailer a few weeks later.