Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X

Draw-Tite trailer hitch 36286 and trailer wiring installation for the Saab 9-5

I had this hitch on a previous 9-5 and always thought it was a good hitch, not too expensive and easy to install. I'll be mainly using it for a bike rack but perhaps also pull small trailers. It's a class II hitch and is rated for a max weight of 3,500 lbs and tongue weight of 300 lbs.

There are hitches from other manufacturers, including Saab. Installation of the Saab hitch is much mor einvolved and requires removal of the rear bumper.

The Draw-Tite hitch comes with all required mounting hardware and installation instructions: Draw-Tite 36286 installation instructions.pdf

Name:  draw-tite-36286.jpg
Views: 3904
Size:  31.4 KB

I used car ramps to lift up the rear of the car. You could also use a jack and jack stands.

Name:  P1150763.jpg
Views: 4371
Size:  115.1 KB

The tow hook needs to be removed. Two bolts on the outside of the spare wheel well and one inside.

Name:  P1150770.jpg
Views: 4117
Size:  81.7 KB

Three bolts attach to the frame and need to be pulled through the access slots. I used a piece of metal wire around the bolt and fished through the holes. This can be a bit tricky and you'll need some patience for this. This is actually the most challenging part of the entire hitch install.

Name:  P1150792.jpg
Views: 3709
Size:  65.6 KB

Name:  P1150794.jpg
Views: 3676
Size:  72.4 KB

Name:  P1150798.jpg
Views: 3616
Size:  71.9 KB

Using axle stands or other supports are an easy way to position the hitch before you attach it to the car. It is too heavy to lift with one hand and tighten bolts with the other.
    Name:  P1150785.jpg
Views: 3602
Size:  91.2 KB

Use the metal plates/blocks and nuts as described in the installation and use a torque wrench to tighten. It helps when you have deep sockets for the torque wrench.

Name:  P1150799.jpg
Views: 3615
Size:  87.6 KB

Name:  P1150805.jpg
Views: 3618
Size:  90.4 KB

Name:  P1150808.jpg
Views: 3595
Size:  87.5 KB

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Simple light duty hitch - the Saab hitch secures WAY better. I would not advise pulling a car with that setup... lol

My factory hitch on my 9000 attached to the bumper mounts and frame a bit more rigidly. Also the OEM 9-5 does the same. The draw tite would not meet my requirements as I could need to tow a car at any point.

Nice clean install otherwise - you're ready to go biking!
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsside42 View Post
    My factory hitch on my 9000 attached to the bumper mounts and frame a bit more rigidly. Also the OEM 9-5 does the same. The draw tite would not meet my requirements as I could need to tow a car at any point.

Nice clean install otherwise - you're ready to go biking!
    I'm looking for a trailer hitch for my 9000 as well. How does yours attach, exactly, and what size receiver is it? I plan to go to a few junkyards to see what I can find, because the offerings from Draw Tite and Curt are very expensive, so knowing these things would be very helpful for me.
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can

Saab(s)
    99' 9-5 lpt, 00' 9-5 Aero(MT), 03' 9-5 Arc
    Thanks so much for the write-up on the Draw-Tite hitch install. I ordered the exact same hitch to install on my 2000 9-5 Aero and installed it today. Getting the three bolts into position through the access slot was finicky to say the least, especially since the bolt has to go through the included rectangular plates before going through the bolt hole... I got the two on the passenger side fairly quickly, but could NOT get the one bolt on the driver's to drop through no matter what. I finally took a flashlight to investigate what I was getting hung up on, and I saw some sort of foam plug in there. So I popped open the trunk and pulled back the lining, and made a discovery that I wanted to share with this thread:

There are foam plugs directly above all the necessary bolt holes for the hitch install (atleast on a 2000 9-5). I popped out the plug with my finger, dropped the bolt and plate in, and had that third bolt in place in seconds. I really hope this saves someone else some time, as I wasted hours trying to get that third bolt in place.

Attachment 9964
    Last edited by TyrannicalTy95; 07 July 2013 at 03:59.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    That's good news. I'm planning a hitch install on my Aero. I'll check for plugs when I'm under there or in the next. I hope the wagon has those plugs.
    By the way the attachment Trannical posted doesn't work??

Saab(s)
    99' 9-5 lpt, 00' 9-5 Aero(MT), 03' 9-5 Arc

Picture

How about this?

It seems to work when I click on it. FYI - The plugs will be in your trunk. Gently pry up the lining on either side of the spare wheel well to take a look.
    Name:  IMG_20130706_183511_150.jpg
Views: 3429
Size:  32.4 KB

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Thanks. That worked. I'll check my wagons tomorrow for them.
    The other post with the word attachment says this when I click on it; Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Hey guys what did you do about wiring? I'm about to get my hitch from U-Haul ($199+ 13%. then wiring $40 + 13%)
    The thing is they want $55 to install it! (They don't have a great reputation for there wiring installs.)
    Question. Can I use any control/ module to hook the light wires up?
    I have a Plug and play harness from an old Caravan in the garage....
    Ware did you exit the car with the wires? Is there a hole with a rubber plug to use or do you take it out of the back each time?
    Here is the link to the U-Haul hitch page.
    U-Haul: Trailer Hitch and Trailer Hitch Installation in London, ON at U-Haul Moving & Storage of London
    They offer 2 different hitches. 2000 lb and 3500lb. I'm going for the 3500 DrawTight.
    Thanks in advance.

Trailer Light Power Module

• 4-way flat plug with 3-to-2 powered taillight converter.
    • Part number: 14493

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    There is wiring in the spare wheel area in all 9-5 up to MY 2005 1/2. Some time early 2005 (after VIN ...53520565), they stopped putting in this wiring and it seems like a real pain to install. If you have a MY <= 2005 1/2, you'll need the Saab trailer harness integration kit (part number 4738829) which will give you a flat-4 plug. Really easy to install, just plug-and-play. The downside is these have become pretty pricey over the years and they now are about $130 - 140.

You (or U-haul) can do the wiring by splicing into tail light cables but I would rather spend the extra money for the kit and be sure that it will work right. I found one from someone on SC for $70 but I hardly see them offered used. Your 9-5 can detect if a tail light lamp is burnt out so I can only imagine the messages you'll see on your SID if splicing into existing wires. I wouldn't let places like U-Hail, Midas, Walmart and other places touch my Saab but perhaps that's just me.

This adapter is for lights only, not for charging a travel trailer battery or using electric trailer brakes.

When you install the hitch, there is one hole left open where the tow eye was. I cut the trailer harness cable in half, put it through the hole and soldered back together on a previous 9-5. Since I hardly use the hitch for towing right now, I'll just let the cable hang out the hatch when I need it. Winter seems to be tough on those flat-4 plug and they'll easily corrode so I'd rather leave it inside the spare wheel area for now.

4738829 Genuine Saab - Trailer Harness - Free Shipping
    Saab 95 Hitch Harness 4738829 | eBay

Name:  saab-9-5-trailer-wire.jpg
Views: 3753
Size:  43.3 KB

Name:  lg_4738829.jpg
Views: 3420
Size:  29.5 KB

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Frank you wouldn't happen to know what set of instructions to use would you?
    LINK Saab Instructions, Genuine Saab Accessory Installation Catalogue - SaabDocs.com
    I just came across this site.