Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Zack
    SAAB SAAB SAAB BLABLABLA Brewmaster's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    1987 900 SPG (totaled), 1987 900 T16 (new SPG)

Lightbulb Brewmaster's Back with a Busted Saab!

Hey guys, long time no see! I took a job that literally required 70 hours of my life each week, rendering my internetting useless. So, in the past two years I've repaired my SPG, put about 40,000 miles on it, then it died. Thankfully (right as it died in my hands) I got an offer letter and am now with a much better company, giving myself plenty of time to rebuild the car and dick around on the internet! Hooray, right? She died on me three weeks ago. Left me stranded one block from home. I started tearing into her yesterday and here is my progress:

I made a base diagnosis of head gasket failure, probably due in part to turbo seizure. Well, apparently I am probably correct.

This is where I start. I had already removed a couple of connectors before remembering to take pics.

Removed the turbo, plumbing and exhaust manifold. Bypass valve is shot, manifold studs are snapped/missing altogether (held on by three remaining studs!), manifold to turbo bolts were rusted clean through and snapped off in my hands.

Manifold to turbo gasket. Blew from the inside out!

This is where I left her last night. Nearly all components are removed, or ready to be removed, for engine/tranny removal. Just a few more hoses/wires (and the driveshafts and engine mounts).

And these are the components removed. Every vacuum nipple shattered in my hands. Electrical connectors disintegrated. That's what I get for having nearly 350,000 miles with little to no maintenance! This is just the start, the fun will be coming soon once I get my hands on an engine hoist and mount.

Saab Nut
    Saab(s)
    93 9000 CSE, 85 900T
    Frame up restoration?

Zack
    SAAB SAAB SAAB BLABLABLA Brewmaster's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    1987 900 SPG (totaled), 1987 900 T16 (new SPG)
    That's pretty much what I'm looking at. Engine and trans will be pulled probably in July (Can't right now or my soon-to-be-wife may just kill me!). I'm giving myself two years total to complete 100%. I'm going to do a full rebuild/modificaton of the engine and strengthen the trans, and while doing such I'm going to strip it down to shell and send it off for body work/paint. Still looking for a good upholstery shop in my area.