Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 Wagon

Water Pump Bearing

Water pump bearing gone with needle bearings falling out. Is this a good do it yourself? Large smooth pulley is loose but have nmo coolant leak. I just replaced idler pulleys and belt thinking that was the problem.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Do you mean just replacing the waterpump with a new one or repairing the waterpump itself? I haven't done it myself but I can't imagine replacing the pump wouldn't be too difficult.

Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    Do you mean just replacing the waterpump with a new one or repairing the waterpump itself? I haven't done it myself but I can't imagine replacing the pump wouldn't be too difficult.
    I decided to replace the pump with a new one myself. Very slow and tedious job. Many bolts are hidden and difficult to access. I did it on my own with no worksop instructions which made it even slower. In the end it was a very satisfying accomplishment. The old pump wasn't leaking, but the bearing was worn out. Fortunately, the bearing seized in my garage and through needle bearings all over the floor. Through off the serpentine belt as well.