Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Hear my Saab a comin' nuclear944's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    Past: 1989 SPG & 1989 900 N/A Sedan

1967 V4 Saab 96

I just emailed this guy to trade my '89 sedan for it.

Do you think I'll be able to sell it for 1500+ once its in good shape and repainted?

1967 SAAB 96
    I want it so bad! But I'm leaving the country soon.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Depends, but I doubt you'll make much money from it.

He says mostly restored, but I wouldn't touch it without looking at the floor pan and the rocker panels. The biggest are for rust is wear the floor meets the back of the front wheel wells. If possible lift the entire carpet and check. Even though you can see the wholes/rust by looking at it from underneath, you really should lift the carpet.

Here are the most common areas for rust, but check everywhere.

If I had to say yes or no, I'd say $1500 isn't a bad price if you get it mechanically sound (sounds like it is), and get rid (most) of the rust, and put a 10ft paint job on it.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers
    "Sometimes it is better to travel than it is to arrive." - Robert Pirsig

Saab(s)
    Well as long as I could get at least my initial investment back...
    My 900 is probably worth more money wise, but I wouldn't be able to sell it for much more than 1,000 when I move. It has no rust though and the transmission is still non-whiney. I am transporting the SPG back to Europe with me though.

I really would like to get this car. It's a lot simpler than the 900 so I am assuming it'll be a lot less trouble.
    I can do rust and body repair if it's not structural.

Also, it says it has the 1.7L engine. I know this is different than the original available in 1967. What can you tell me about that engine?

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    In 1967, Saab switched away from the 2-stroke to the Tanus V4, but the 2-stroke was still an option for the next year or two. I might be wrong on this part, but I thought in 1967, they only had the 1.5L, not the 1.7L. Either way, the 1.7L is far more common. The V4 is a Ford engine, built and designed in Germany. It was used pretty commonly in old SnowCats and a couple of Ford cars, but Saab was the biggest use (I think). Overall, parts for the engine itself aren't too hard to come by, and they are pretty darn reliable. The biggest weakness is the carburetors (for your year, I think it's a Solex), the ignition system, or the cooling system. The carburetors can be rebuilt and they'll function well, but if you have the cash, it's best to get a Weber carb (I rebuilt mine). The ignition system can give you problems (mine hasn't), so most people switch to a Pertronix ignition set. I don't fully understand the difference, or why so many people switch, but I do know that most people do; especially if they plan to drive the car regularly. Next up is cooling. Lots of the cooling hoses/pipes corrode and build up junk. Causing the system to not function well. I fixed my cooling problem by replacing the thermostat, replacing nearly all the hoses, and cleaning out every bit of the system I could get my hands on. On hot summer days (above 90F), my engine temp gets a little high, but as long as I'm moving it's no problem. Sitting in traffic for a long time, the gauge goes higher than I like, but never in the red.

My engine hasn't given me much problems, and when it did, it was due to a rusty/dirty gas tank.

For welding, the floor is the structure. These cars have no "frame" that most are used to, so if the floor has big wholes, and you go to replace it, make sure you've got it right because the floor is what give it strength.
    Free SaabWorld Stickers

Saab(s)
    Unfortunately, I didn't buy the car. I looked at it and immediately fell inlove....until I saw the door pillars. It started well and ran (man what a sound) but the seller turned out to be a bit of a prick and didn't let me drive it until we finished the "deal". At that point, I walked away.

I am going to be buying another classic Saab project when I move to Europe (to complement the SPG), and it might be a 96. Who knows?
    Thanks for the help, I'll need your advice sometime in the future again.

Mike
    Saab(s)
    Saab-less
    Didn't let you drive it until you bought it? What? How does he expect to sell it.

What was wrong with the door pillars?
    Free SaabWorld Stickers

Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
    Didn't let you drive it until you bought it? What? How does he expect to sell it.

What was wrong with the door pillars?
    He was a jerk. Didn't let me drive it until I put money down.
    The door pillars at the front were rusted and buckled backwards.

I just a couple weeks ago bought a 1967 (MY `68) 96 and also fell in love with it ... despite the rust problems that will require complete strip down and body restoration.