Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    9-3ss

Fan like sound after turn off the engine??

I used 9-3ss for 8 year, everytime I swich off the engine and wait a few minute, I always heard fan like sound. I though it is the cooling fan.

Last week, I did not heard it so I went to the service. He said one of the fan and the reley were mulfunction, then I decided to replaced them both.

After that, I still did not hear the sound and the service said the cooling fan will activate when the temperature is high to 103 c.

I am not sure the service is right? Because I always observe my car and ,like I said, the fan like sound always come a few minute after switch off the engine.

Can anyone tell me?

Is your car like mine?

Thank you very much in advance.
    Last edited by nuttawat; 16 May 2013 at 00:43. Reason: Wrong word

Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 2.0T SC Aero XWD\eLSD. eSID2
    Given the conditions, environmental temperature, driving time etc. now are like when you have noticed the fan kick in before, I'd say there still is a problem, which was not resolved at the service.

When the engine is stopped after a drive, the coolant pump of course comes to a halt as well, which leads to no coolant fluid circulation through the heat exchanger. This causes the coolant temperature to raise, which in due course (time) will trigger the relay of the cooling fan, when the thermostat senses the temperature set point, whatever that is. 103°C could be correct.

So the thermostat could be the culprit, but then you should as well notice a higher reading on the coolant temperature gauge when driving, than you have had in the past, as the coolant temperature will raise during driving as well. Given the driving conditions are equal. Have you noticed?

The replacement of the of the fan and the relay might have been a correct measure, however as it apparently did not solve the "start-up" of the fan as you in the past (8 years) have noticed, it did not resolve the problem.

And yes, our 9-3 behaves in the same way as yours did, in fact all five of our last Saabs have acted likewise with regard to the engine cooling fan starting after driving is ended, at given conditions.

Saab(s)
    9-3ss
    Actually, the temperature guage is still the same in the middle even I drive in the traffic or not.

A few days ago, I took a long drive, 3-4 hrs, the temperature guage is still the same too. But after switched off the engine, the cooling fan still not work.

Is it possible that the thermostat is a bit crazy? And the new fan is in good condition so it can control the temperature in normal.

Or 9-3ss has 2 fans, then they can work together to control the temperature even the themostat is mulfunction.

Anyway, I really thank you for your reply
    Last edited by nuttawat; 17 May 2013 at 17:05. Reason: To complete wording