Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    '97 900 SE, '85 900, 92'900

Thumbs up Saab 900 1997 ac condenser and components replacement.

Hi everyone!

I bought a Saab 1997, 900 SE turbo Convertible, it's a shame it came with no AC. The previous owner removed the AC condenser panel, the receiver/dryer, and high-low pressure valves (switch). The rest on the AC lines are on the car, compressor, expassion valve, etc, therefore it is only at the front where i'm missing some parts.

Does anyone can help me to find a diagram, website or any info, with all the parts i need to reinstall the AC on my SAAB??
    Do i need something else besides the parts i mentioned above?

Thanks!!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Hello and welcome. This is a list and diagram from the WIS. Hopefully, that will get you started.

1. Compressor (petrol) (170), see page
    2. Compressor (diesel) (170), see page
    3. Condenser, see page
    4. Receiver, see page
    5. Expansion valve, see page
    6. Evaporator, see page
    7. Pressure sensor, see page
    8. Anti-freeze sensor, see page
    9. A/C relay

Name:  saab-9-3-ac-diagram.gif
Views: 1944
Size:  20.0 KB

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 ARC 2.3T wagon
    '04 9-5 Arc - A/C still not blowing cold - compressor not running - Want to try replacing the relay as low cost fix-it attempt - What is the A/C relay part number ?

Saab(s)
    2009 9-3 2.0T SC Aero XWD\eLSD. eSID2
    The OEM P/N for the relay in question is 85 33 176 (or 8533176), which is a pretty standard relay, Relay. Saab # 8533176

The relay is controlled by the Trionic engine control module, relay "E" and fuse #14 in the instrument panel relay/fuse box, both believed to be ok as they serve other loads as well. The A/C relay feeds voltage from fuse #6 in the engine bay fuse box to the A/C compressor and Anti-Theft alarm siren - to be checked.

From the WIS; the number of conditions to be met to engage the A/C relay:

Engaging the A/C

A/C request

A number of conditions must be met before the A/C relay is grounded and the A/C compressor clutch engages.

For an A/C request to occur, the fan must be in position 1-4 with the A/C button ON.

For ACC, the A/C request is automatic when the ACC panel is on (that is, OFF is not pressed in), ECON is not selected and the outside temperature exceeds 5°C.

Engaging the A/C

1. The A/C request comes from ACC.

The ACC information goes on the bus.

2. Engine temperature must be below 125°C. DICE receives this information from the relevant engine control module on the bus.

3. The condenser pressure must be below 27 bar and higher than 1.75 bar. The pressure sensor detects the condenser pressure.

4. The evaporator temperature must comply with the following conditions:

4.a. If the temperature in the evaporator is above 2°C, DICE sends information regarding A/C
    request to the relevant engine control module point 7.

4.b. If the evaporator temperature is below 1°C, the A/C compressor electromagnetic clutch will be
    supplied with voltage only if points 5 and 6 are fulfilled.

5. The outside temperature must be above 25°C. This information comes from the SID.

6. One of the following conditions must be fulfilled:

6.a. The engine must have been running for less than 30 minutes.

6.b. The speed must be below 5 km/h.

7. Conditions are fulfilled for the A/C request and the relevant engine control module grounds the A/C relay provided that the engine is running. When the relay is grounded, voltage is fed via the overheating protection to the electromagnetic clutch of the compressor. The overheating protection is built into the electromagnetic clutch. If the overheating protection is triggered, the electromagnetic clutch must be replaced.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 ARC 2.3T wagon
    A/C prob. now seems to be fixed. The store where I bought the car got the relay replaced twice, then also blower motor, and eventually had the compressor replaced. Two diff repair shops involved, including today at the primary repair shop to re-do something about the compressor installation "which was done wrong" by the second shop ( resulting in my being stuck on the side of Very Busy secondary street during height of rush hour last night. Car stopped running - it would re-start and run for abt 5 seconds, "Check Engine", "Check Oil", Check Batt" lights all came on, then shut down. )