Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-3 conv

9-3 1.8t '05 manual convertible just dies...hheeellp

[FONT=verdana]hi,[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]my 9-3 1.8t '05 vector manual convertible just dies at random moments.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]has happened 3 times now & so far i've been lucky i could pull over each time.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]what happens is i can be driving as normal & the engine will just die.[/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana]the engine & battery lights come on as you'd expect.[/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana]the car can't be bump started by putting it into gear still coasting.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]the car will then not re-start. the engine won't even turn over - completely dead.[/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana]the engine lights come on then off as normal when the ignition is turned but nothing happens.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]the only way to get it to start is to disconnect the negative battery terminal for a couple of minutes then re-connect it.[/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana]the car will then start & drive as normal.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]seems like the cars computer may be reset when i do this?[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]any one heard of this before or have any ideas how i can fix this issue?[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]thanks for any replies.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana]jc[/FONT]

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    1.8? What is that, some kind of diesel thing. Anyway, it sure sounds like an electrical issue. Are you going to get the codes read or what? There is not much we can do until you drive it somewhere and plug an OBD code reader into it and see what it says and call us back.
    This guys post is 10 days old and no body has given him this tip in 10 days. What? We don't like him or something?

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brennan View Post
    1.8? What is that, some kind of diesel thing.

This guys post is 10 days old and no body has given him this tip in 10 days. What? We don't like him or something?
    The 1.8t petrol engine with 150hp was the base engine in Europe. It was never sold in North America. I think there was even a non-turbo engine in the 9-3. Sometimes posts go unnoticed and there often are not enough other members being able to help. Why weren't you here 10 days ago?

How old is the battery? Saabs don't like old batteries and all kinds of strange things happen when they need to be replaced.

Saab(s)
    I don't go on the 9 3 page very often as nothing is ever needing attention on out 09 9 3.

Saab(s)
    I.8 petrol w/o a turbo. Good grief

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I don't go on the 9 3 page very often as nothing is ever needing attention on out 09 9 3.
    That seems to be the nature of forums like this. Most come here because they need help, not for providing help. There is only a very small group that goes through the forums daily and see if they can help. And sometimes that gets a bit old...

I.8 petrol w/o a turbo. Good grief
    That was an 1.8i engine with 122 hp. Probably 0-to-100 km/h in whenever-seconds.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-3 conv
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    The 1.8t petrol engine with 150hp was the base engine in Europe. It was never sold in North America. I think there was even a non-turbo engine in the 9-3. Sometimes posts go unnoticed and there often are not enough other members being able to help. Why weren't you here 10 days ago?

How old is the battery? Saabs don't like old batteries and all kinds of strange things happen when they need to be replaced.
    thanks for your replies so far-i'm overseas working at the moment so internet isn't easily accessible, hence delay in replying. anyway......

the 1.8t is in fact the 2 litre engine but de-tuned to 150 bhp. it's popular in europe where fuel is now about $2 / litre. it is turbocharged.

the battery was new 9 months ago - one of the best you can get - made by bosch. i got this before the winter as i know that saab electrics don't like a battery that shows signs of deteriorating.

i'm sure the problem is electrical but have no idea what.
    i've had it checked with a tech 2 for error codes but there are none on it.
    it seems that the only option is to wait until it dies again & then get it towed to a repair centre so that it can be checked with the fault in place.

any one have any ideas?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-3 conv
    just an update should it prove useful to someone.....

the problem was the ECU (the one in the engine bay).
    had to go to a Saab dealer as there were issues getting access codes from Saab if I was to use an independent near me.
    cost was about £700 inc fitting & taxes - ouch

Mathieu Verberne
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5
    Actually the 1.8 n/a it's quite alright as an engine. My parents own one, there's nothing wrong with that engine, ever, never dies or go wrong. Of course it's not as fast as the turbo engines.

The 1.8t is a 2 litre engine, only the software is different so it produces 150 hp.l, as said above.

I think maybe it's the top dead center sensor (not sure it is translated right.....)
    They tend to stop working when the engine is warm, they start working again when cold.. ..

Also they couldn't find an error code because it gets reset when you disconnect the battery