Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Enthusiast CaptainMediocre's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan

Does anybody know if this key will work

Nearest dealer wants to charge $200 for a making a key for '07 95. eEuroparts.com is listing this for $38

Saab Key - Coded | 5510144 | Free Shipping

Does anybody know if this is actually going to work? I heard other people say to stay away from keys they sell on the internet because they wont work.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    there are several things involved here for a 9-5 key.

1. - you need the "loly pop" key housing - as shown for $38 from eeuro. That is a laser cut key for your car.
    2. - you need the "guts" or the transmitter portion of the key - which is where the buttons are.
    3. - you need the back cover to hold the battery inside.
    4. - you need to have this assembled and programmed via a Saab Service Center.

You CAN buy a used key off ebay or someone for the guts to save money. I usually can pick them up for around $50 shipped off ebay when I need them. I currently HAVE 2 I can sell of you want to go that route. You will still need the housing for yours and to have it programmed.

The transmitter is the most costly portion next to the 1/2 hour labor to program.
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    Is it possible to get one made that doesn't have the part with all the buttons that would still work? Or it probably needs the transmitter portion to work huh? I was just looking for one to have as an emergency spare, I don't really care if I can use it to pop the trunk.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    You do need the transmitter portion for the car to start. Without it, the key is only good for opening the doors and the engine won't start. Loose all the keys and you'll be looking at an expensive repair.

Immobilization
    The immobilization function prevents the car from starting if other than the correct key is used. The fuel supply is cut off and the starter motor relay is blocked. There is a transponder in the key with a unique identification code that is registered by the receiver unit. The receiver unit is located by the ignition switch.

The receiver unit which is connected to TWICE, sends the code to TWICE which is programmed to recognize the car's keys. If the correct key is inserted in the ignition switch (in switch position ON) starting of the engine is facilitated. If a transponder not belonging to the car or a defective transponder is used, “KEY NOT ACCEPTED” is shown on the SID display.

Should there be a fault in the receiver unit or the transponder, the remote control unit can be used to mobilize the car. Mobilization is effected if a button on the remote control is depressed after the ignition switch has been turned to the ON position.

Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    And this is why its good to ask questions before buying things. Thanks guys.

Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 Aero
    I had only one key for my 2001 9-5 when I purchased it. The dealer wanted $250 for another key (with remote built in) plus the programming charge of $55. The dealer said the original type key that I have (without the remote built in) was no longer available. After much research, I found ClearCom Technologies in Kanosh, UT. They were able to provide me with replacement keys of my original type, cut to my key code for $55 each plus a $5 shipping fee. I ordered the keys at 3:00 p.m. on a Thursday and had the keys in my hand the next day. They worked perfectly. I still had to pay the dealer the $55 programming fee but I got two spare keys and the programming for $170 v/s the over $300 the dealer wanted for one key. May be an option for you.

Saab(s)
    2007 Saab 95 2.3T Sedan
    That sounds good, I will look into that. Thank you.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsside42 View Post
    there are several things involved here for a 9-5 key.

1. - you need the "loly pop" key housing - as shown for $38 from eeuro. That is a laser cut key for your car.
    2. - you need the "guts" or the transmitter portion of the key - which is where the buttons are.
    3. - you need the back cover to hold the battery inside.
    4. - you need to have this assembled and programmed via a Saab Service Center.

You CAN buy a used key off ebay or someone for the guts to save money. I usually can pick them up for around $50 shipped off ebay when I need them. I currently HAVE 2 I can sell of you want to go that route. You will still need the housing for yours and to have it programmed.

The transmitter is the most costly portion next to the 1/2 hour labor to program.
    Are you saying I can get a key from the junk yard and take the guts out and put into a new cut blank and the guts can be programmed to work with my car?
    So the TWICE unit will recognize a 2nd/different chip form the different guts?

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    I was at the dealer today. They wanted $307+13%= $346.91! That's 70% of my purchase price of $500! They did mention that that was the pricey one of the lot of keys. I emailed a company in England. Teams, works out to $284 not programmed. I'm seeing a pattern in pricing...
    I checked the clearcom site and they don't list a key for the 9-5 that I can find. (I emailed them and am awaiting a reply.)
    Does anyone know if the use of a used keys guts will readily program in to another car? My 04 Arc has the 4 groove 3 button type key.
    Burnside: You mentioned in a post that you have a couple "used keys". Can I take it that you have them for re-programming? Is this simple for the dealer? What is my local dealer going to say when I show up with a new key form thesaabsite and the guts of another old key?

I recall from my Dodge Caravan days that there transponder keys couldn't be re-programmed to a different vehicle. (That's what I'm afraid of with the saab key.) The fob for the locks was a different story. It could be re-programmed to any vehicle of the vintage.
    Both key and fob programming could be done by the owner. The instructions were in the manual. Very easy to do but to do a key you needed two separate keys to start. The fob only one. One of my guys lost "the other key" and I needed the dealer to program a key I got from ebay for $7. $50 to program. They even washed the old work van! (I bet they had never washed such a beat up piece of junk before!)
    Here is a sad picture of the key I am using now in the 9-5 500. I had to make a quick repair when the loop broke. 1 1/2 PVC and some epoxy.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Just a follow up as to what I have learned about keys.
    One can program the guts of a used key via teck 2,
    Clearcom says they can't do my key. 03-04, 4 groove. (see above) I'm not sure why...
    One should (I haven't tried this but was told by a 4 groove Key seller on EBay) be able to program a fob (banana) to work with a non transponder key.
    I've been looking for somewhere local to me that can cut my type of key. (I haven't had any luck. But the other day I read the codes on someones 2010 Volkswagen wagon and saw the key was cut the same way!)
    I'll contact my VW dealer in a few weeks and see what is up.

I've been thinking about keying my ignition on both the Arc and Aero. (My wife just lost her key to the Aero!!!!!!!!!!) Each car now has 1 key!
    I have to take a look at the tumblers and see what can be done.
    Maybe key it to #2 flat screwdriver.
    (On all my vehicles I have had one access door or hatch keyed this way. It saves a ton of grief when someone locks the keys in.)
    I don't think it would be a problem with the ignition. The need for a transponder would rule out theft. Used keys are allot more affordable.