Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)

Instructions on how to replace direct ignition cassette (DIC) and spark plugs

My car was due for new spark plugs and I had a newer DIC so I decided to replace both and keep the old DIC as an emergency spare. It's quite easy to do.

My car: 1999 9-3, an early 1998 build with a Trionic 5, non-HOT turbo engine. The DIC is red.

Tools and supplies needed:
    flashlight (optional, useful if working in a dark garage)
    gloves (optional, not a very dirty task)
    tool to gap spark plugs
    4 NGK BCPR7ES-11 or BCPR7ES spark plugs (platinum NGKs work well)
    red DIC
    T-30 Torx screwdriver or T-30 for socket wrench (preferred)
    spark plug socket
    extension for socket wrench of about 6" (15 cm)
    torque wrench (unless you can reliably not over tighten the spark plugs)
    screwdriver
    never seize compound (widely available, such as at Autozone)
    di-electric coumpount (widely available, such as at Autozone)
    napkin or paper towel

Procedure:
    1. Work on a cold engine. If you turn off the engine, wait a few minutes to allow electric current to subside to prevent a dangerous shock. Work on your car only if you have a reasonable clue as far as personal safety, which many people have. Properly gap the spark plugs. They seem to be gapped too wide and should be adjusted to 1 mm.

2. Wipe off old red DIC so dirt doesn't fall inside the engine.

3. Remove the 4 T-30 screws on the top of the DIC, pull off DIC. Unplug it by using a screwdriver to lift up the burgundy colored electrical connector then unplugging it. The burgundy connector acts like a clip to keep the connection together.

4. Using the spark plug socket wrench and extension, unscrew counterclockwise. Even though there are no spark plug wires to get confused, I still replace one spark plug at a time. When putting new spark plugs, apply a thin layer of never seize to the threads. Gently screw back in and do not strip the threads by sloppy work. Add some di-electric compound to the ends of the spark plugs after they are in. You can put it on before screwing them in the engine but it will smear so putting some after installation is better.

5. Plug in replacement DIC and snap the burgundy connector back down.

Very easy. Almost not worth a write up but it's a good list of tools and supplies needed.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    What - no pictures! lol - nice write up! It's the simple things that count
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com