Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Michael S. Lucas
    Saab(s)
    1991 900 SE Turbo Convertible, 2000 Saab 9-5 3.0 Wagon

Just bought a 9-5 with seized engine

Having recently had success resurrecting a 900 Turbo convertible and loving the car, I decided to look for our next family trickster to be a Saab wagon.
    I found a 2000 9-5 v6 turbo wagon that the owner said lost power while driving and then would crank but not restart. That was 5 years ago!
    When I went to see the car to consider buying it we pulled it out of the garage, charged the battery and hooked up the jumpers. With a full charge the starter clicks once hard! The coolant res was empty and the oil looks like caramel. I am guessing it overheated and now is seized up.
    Since it is the holiday I won't be able to check it out until next week but will be back with info and in search of advise.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    If all else fails, you can always part it out. Good luck!

Luis R
    Saab(s)
    03' 9-5 Linear wagon
    UGH!!! V6 huh...to bad. There are not a lot of those around, but good luck anyhoo.

Jeffrey
    Master SaabTech/Moderator Burnsside42's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    - 86' 9KT - 95' 9K Custom CS - 06' 9-3 Combi - 07' 9-7X Arc - 08' 9-3 Convertible - 08' 9-3 TurboX -
    Here's how you fix that car correctly;
    1.) Remove the V6 - Junk/Scrap
    2.) Remove that V6 Sub-frame - Scrap
    3.) Remove wire harness and Trionic - save for parts and to resale
    4.) Acquire the following parts:
    A) 2.3T Engine from Donor crashed car - lower mileage a plus
    B) Get the engine harness as well with the T7 control unit
    C) Get the Sub-frame from any 2.3 9-5
    5.) Begin to assemble
    6.) Drive!
    European Motor Services, LLC - Point Pleasant, PA 18950 - www.europeanmotorsvc.com

Michael S. Lucas
    Saab(s)
    Time for an update:

We found a used engine the salvage yard claims has only 117k miles, it looks clean and the oil had no signs of coolant. I decided that despite Saab's instructions to drop the 'power unit' out the bottom with the subframe that splitting the engine and trans in the car and pulling the engine out the top was the way to go. Preparing the engine for removal was not hard but time consuming. The tight spaces are frankly ridiculous. All I could think of during this procedure was the constant reminder that manufacturers are bent on 2 things, one is the ease of manufacture and the second is making service at the dealer almost mandatory due to special tools, techniques and training.

I grew up in a family owned import new car dealership and I appreciate the interest in keeping the dealer and service department busy after the sale, so I can't complain too much about that but the way the car is put together in this case seems like either an after thought or a stop-gap measure in lieu of common sense.

Back on topic, the first major stumbling block I ran into was the removal of the flywheel bolts. Because the engine was locked up I was not only unable to locate a bolt through the allotted hole, but unable to rotate the engine to change things.

I finally removed the oil pan and all the bearing caps, then with a long rod I tapped all the pistons up into their cylinders until the crank could rotate without being constricted by the rods. Two of the pistons were literally welded into the cylinders and required slow and careful action but eventually cleared.

Once the flywheel bolts came out the engine easily split from the trans, and the torque convertor stayed right where it needed to be. Just before the engine came free I rotated it so that a flywheel bolt hole lined up with the allotted hole in the block so it would be there when the new engine went in.

Within 5 minutes of splitting the two, the engine was out.
    Next was to prep the new (used) engine, first thing was to check the timing belt while it was easy to get to. I got lucky here because I found that the timing belt was obviously new, along with both idlers and the water pump all nice and shiny.

I spent about two hours swapping over the power steering, air conditioning mounting bracket , idler pulley and alternator.
    Putting the engine in with an assistant went very well. I thought I might have trouble remembering where each bolt went but it came back surprisingly well and ended up with no extras! The wiring harness brackets are a pain but eventually got into their rightful places and the connectors are colored so again, was not difficult but time consuming.
    The job at this point has taken me three 6 hour days.

I do have two new issues though, first is there is a mystery coolant leak, it appears to be from the center of the radiator and is most likely the reason the car over heated in the first place.

The second problem is the fuel pump makes no noise and I suspect has gone the way of the do-do.
    Ran out of time, but ordered a new fuel pump and will get back to it on Friday .
    Hopefully next update is after a successful drive!

Michael S. Lucas
    Saab(s)
    Looking for help. ( again 2000 9-5 V6) The fuel pump has no power at any time, cranking or not. Neither does the fuel pump fuse have power. This car has sat for 5 years, connections at fuse panel and relays look good. What should I look for? Will a bad CPS cut power to the fuel pump?

Michael S. Lucas
    Saab(s)

It lives!

I found the problem. The engine wiring harness directly behind the engine (it's under a black plastic cover, remove cover and it has a large red locking clip) and when the clip was released and pulled apart I found an extreme amount of corrosion, but only on one pin connector. The pin had actually disintegrated and was absent but could tell one should have been there, so I cleaned up the area and made a pin connector and shoved it into both slots as I closed it back up. Viola!

Now that it is running I have found the radiator is leaking from the center , several rows of fins are damp and corroded. I have pulled a used radiator from the local salvage yard and plan to install it tomorrow.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Sounds like you will be on the road in no time.
    You will love the wagon. If the V6 has more power than the 2.3 it will be a rocket!
    I still cant believe the power that comes from the 2.3's I have.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    The V6 has 200hp and many versions of the 2.3 have more than that. All my 9-5 had the 2.3 engine and I never had a chance to drive the V6. Still curious what these engines are like to drive. Sounds like it was a lot of work to get it running again and good to hear it all paid off. Nice job.

Michael S. Lucas
    Saab(s)
    I got the radiator replaced today, and in the process of checking the car over also found an inner cv boot clamp had gone missing and popped the boot off, so replaced that and cleaned things up. Also found the R134 low and topped that up, then found A/C only cold on right side and learned about the ACC diagnosis from this site. After running through the test I found the blend door on the left sticking and applied some white grease and now all is cool. My mom had just come home with a plate and we put it on the car-she then took my boys for it's maiden voyage to town for a matinee and came back later with a big grin on her face and a report of how she loves her new Saab!
    http://