Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Turbo X Sedan manual, all options

Traded my Aero for a Turbo X... surprise, more questions.

I've noticed a number of differences between the two cars, and was curious if anyone could shed insight on some of these.
    • The Turbo X horn is dramatically louder and has a different pitch than my outgoing Aero. Did this become the standard horn for 09 onward or is the Tx an exception (or is this Tx an exception)?
    • Is there a reason for the change in the audio system amplifier in the trunk? The Aero had it mounted vertically, the Tx has it at a 45 degree angle.
    • Does anyone have any experience with the tire patch/sealant kit that comes with the Tx (and 09 onward, right?). I feel slightly distressed not having the spare that was standard in my Aero after having to use it on two separate occasions.
    • Was the software change related to the coolant expansion tank woes also run on Turbo X models? I've noticed that in situations where my Aero would have run the fan after shutting off, the Tx just shuts down completely and is extremely warm under the hood.
    • Is the black leather finished differently than the parchment? It feels less plastic-y than I recall, but I also know this isn't the premium leather option because Saab USA said no to all premium leather in the US for the Tx.
    I think that's all I've got

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Sorted most of this out.
    • Seems the horn on my Aero while loud was not reproducing both tones fully, this one, working properly is booming.
    • Still no info on the amp, not a big deal.
    • The spare tire is gone because there is not enough room under the trunk platform for it along with the XWD/eLSD system
    • Car has the software, just anecdotally not running the fan
    • Nothing on the seats

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I am having the same worries about the lack of spare tire on my 9-4X. However, there is a spare tire option so there is room for it. I am still not sure if I want one or not.

How are you liking the Turbo X so far?

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Congrats on the 9-4x, I've looked at the ones at CRS in MA in passing and they look great.

The Turbo X is fantastic. There are a couple tiny paint chips that I need to get repaired so they don't rust, and I don't trust my own touch up abilities (I bought the paint) so I'm trying to find a place that will take the paint, apply it properly, and do some detailing in the process (collision shops seem to be the best bet). Other than that, it's a dream to drive, took about a week to get used to a manual again (haven't driven one full time since 2002) but it's pretty manageable. Performance is fantastic and definitely noticeably different from the Aero and yet it's so very familiar (it's nice to put all my things back in the places they were before). Can't wait for it to snow!

As for the tire, I might buy one anyway and just leave it in the trunk. I got the cargo mat so it shouldn't slide around, I'm just not sure I'd want to use that kit because I've had plenty of good luck running on a repaired tire and am not sure if the sealant in the tire would make it useless after getting it somewhere for replacement. The 9-4x has even larger tires so I'm not sure what a spare for that would look like…

Jose Luis
    Saab(s)
    2007 93 Aero 2.8 V6
    't
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I've noticed a number of differences between the two cars, and was curious if anyone could shed insight on some of these.
    • Does anyone have any experience with the tire patch/sealant kit that comes with the Tx (and 09 onward, right?). I feel slightly distressed not having the spare that was standard in my Aero after having to use it on two separate occasions.
    • Was the software change related to the coolant expansion tank woes also run on Turbo X models? I've noticed that in situations where my Aero would have run the fan after shutting off, the Tx just shuts down completely and is extremely warm under the hood.
    congrats for your new tx car

• all the performance cars have tire patch/sealant kit. I have not a flat tire in the last 20 years. don worry about it.
    • since my last engine updates, the functionality of my car is in the same way than yours, just shuts down completely and is extremely warm under the hood.

http://saabworld.net/f8/yearly-maint...html#post10023

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Well I had 3 flats in 3 years with my 08 Aero, so it's on my mind (it had to do with living in two different places that were undergoing construction…errant screws/nails everywhere) but it can happen at any time, so the spare absence irks me just a little. Since it came with the Aero, I guess I just miss having it as one wont fit in the Tx.

Jose Luis
    Saab(s)
    2007 93 Aero 2.8 V6