Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    '95 9000 Aero, '98 9000 CSE, '05 9-5, '11 9-4X

Anyone tried a Thule roof carrier on the 9-4X?

Naturally, I can't find anything on Thule's website.

The old Thule system roof rack system on the Saab 9000 was far and away the best ever. Why those brass bushings under the door weatherstripping haven't become the industry standard can't be explained. As usual, Saab was twenty years ahead of the rest of the industry. A 2.0 turbo four in 1978 and finally thirty-five years later, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, et al, have recognized that as the way to go. Wonder why all the enthusiast mags who beat up Saab for only having a 4-cyl are now fawning over the Euro big three for their innovative new engines have no mention of who was first?

Anyway, wonder if the sliding clamps on the Thule can be made to work.

Also, wonder if the slightly lower rear bar will tilt the Thule nose too high?

jack vines

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I used the crossbars from my 9-5 on my 9-4X. They worked fine, even though they were not an exact fit. I used them for a kayak and the slightly lower rear bar didn't tilt it too much. Actually looked pretty good, I think I have some pictures I'll need to dig up.

2011 Saab 9-4X long-term owners review - Part 1: Exterior, Engine and Transmission - Blogs - SaabWorld

i have the crossbars from the SRX (gm accessories) and they fit perfectly and i am sure you could mount whatever you wanted on them after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    I used the crossbars from my 9-5 on my 9-4X. They worked fine, even though they were not an exact fit. I used them for a kayak and the slightly lower rear bar didn't tilt it too much. Actually looked pretty good, I think I have some pictures I'll need to dig up.

2011 Saab 9-4X long-term owners review - Part 1: Exterior, Engine and Transmission - Blogs - SaabWorld

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    '95 9000 Aero, '98 9000 CSE, '05 9-5, '11 9-4X
    Part Number??? The on-line GM Accessories catalog page doesn't even show Saab.

GM Accessories Catalog

jack vines

Saab(s)
    2011 9-4X Premium, 2010 9-5 Aero, 2008 TurboX SC
    Quote Originally Posted by packardv8 View Post
    Part Number??? The on-line GM Accessories catalog page doesn't even show Saab.

GM Accessories Catalog

jack vines
    Roof Rack Cross Rail Package landing page

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    08/280/xwd & 09/210/xwd
    On the other hand why didn't they just use the Thule rack that came with my 1998 Volvo and has wonderful sliding cross bars unlike my 9-3 that only comes with "long bars" and then you have to go out and buy the whole Thule package that clips on for an additional $300 more? It came fine with Volvo and the only additional $200 I had to spend was for the Thule (badged Volvo), full ski box. That, works great and has only been off the car once and again this week so a detailer can give it a full wax job. Load it full of camping gear and pop a thwart off a canoe and a full size Mad River goes on top, it's amazing.

Ummmm, just for the record, GM was making lots of turbos, thousands of them between 1962 and almost till the end in 1968/1969. BMW had turbos on the road, as did Porsche ahead of Saab who used an American TRW and Saab did some nice work on the wastegate for sure. The Corvairs ran fine and like any early turbo needed more frequent oil changes in the pre-synthetic days. The Olds F-85 that had a Garrett was the first production turbo in 1962, two months ahead of the Corvair Spyder. Power? 150hp and 180hp stock with the Spyder and Corsa. My modified Thomas added carbs and was a "tad" over 200 horses. The highway was not littered with over boosted Corvair's. Probably far fewer than kids who tinker with the valves on the ng's, without naming names, don't call Dad for more money this week.
    Semper ubi sububi in caput tuum