Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Lifting the car in the rear with a jack didn't do anything for camber. It looks like I'll need to add some spacers and camber shims. Or just leave it as is and not worry about it.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    06' 9-5 Sportcombi, 06' Sport Sedan
    Frank if your tires aren't wearing abnormal then I would leave it alone. But if you are getting some wear then I would do the shims. Now do you have any sag in the rear of if?
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wulfers View Post
    Lifting the car in the rear with a jack didn't do anything for camber. It looks like I'll need to add some spacers and camber shims. Or just leave it as is and not worry about it.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    I recently put new tires on so I'll know soon enough. I haven't noticed any unusual tire wear on my winter tires and the allseason tires that were on there.

There seems to be some sag and I think it would look better if there was an extra inch. Perhaps adding the spacers will be a good idea, regardless if it changes the camber or not.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    This is an interesting topic. It's got me thinking about weather the shims are needed at all. If the problem is the spring loosing it's strength and compressing over time then the spring spacers should compensate for the camber. This makes me wonder if the springs will continue to loose sterngth and increase the camber again in the future.
    I'm now looking at using spring spacers and the shims. ( I have the shims already.)
    Since SAAB/GM did make the shims an OEM part does that mean they knew they were using lower quality springs? (Not that SAAB would care now that they are defunct. Just wondering.)

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 95 AERO manual, 2003 95 Aero auto
    No one mentions toe in here. Camber is not a bad thing really. too much toe, in or out really destroys tires.

When the ride height goes down the camber increases and the toe increases.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 Aero, 2002 9-5 wagon, 2007 9-3 Aero, '93 9000 CSE, 7 vintage Saabs
    In my shop I stock the rear camber shims for 9-5's. Also, as rlauge mentioned, toe is the predominant factor in tire wear. It is easily adjusted on the 9-5. Shim number 4908174 is for correcting too much negative camber and shim number 4908166 is for correcting too much positive camber. Toe is adjustable with what you have from the factory.

Mark

Frank
    Saab(s)
    I read on the Dutch Saab forum someone used heavy-duty springs for the regular suspension. They raised the rear 4 centimeters so that's quite a bit. And raising the rear visually reduced the camber noticably. Heavy-duty springs are probably a good idea when you often have loads in the back of the wagon or often tow a trailer.

Part number used was 5062041 and the WIS shows code DM / blue-red. eEuro sells these but neither they nor the WIS show these are heavy-duty springs.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 95 AERO manual, 2003 95 Aero auto
    First thing to do is get the ride height up to spec. The best way to do this is with spacers. There is a guy selling good ones on eBay.

this will really help camber in the rear and stop the car from bottoming with load.

Next have a good 4 wheel alignment done.

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    I think I found the solution! I found these for sale on kijiji.ca.
    Saturn L-Series / Saab 9-5 Rear Alignment EZ Arm

rear alignment ez arm kit made by SPC Performance, part number 67270S.These are brand new and never installed. The kit retails for over $170. This kit fits all 2000-2005 Saturn L-Series models as well as 2005-2009 Saab 9-5 models without auto levelling headlamps.
    Link to add: Saturn L-Series / Saab 9-5 Rear Alignment EZ Arm | transmission, drive train | London | Kijiji

It says it won't work with the auto leveling lights... I'll take a close look when I'm under the car next. I'm sure something can be done.
    finding41
    Marty Jackson
    www.northchannelcharters.com

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
    On my wagon it was sagging about 1/2 so I installed 1" spacers from Jeff (https://sites.google.com/site/jjjperformance/) to fix the sag and camber in one shot. Also now the back of the car can take a load without rubbing my tires.
    Thanks for the tip about these spacers. I ordered them last week and received them today. I'll install this coming weekend so hopefully that will fix the problem. I got the 1 1/2" spacers which seems to be average for the wagon. At first, I thought they were a bit expensive but they are very nicely made. Still only about 1/3 the price of new springs.

Name:  DSC06189.jpg
Views: 1319
Size:  82.2 KB

My tires were worn pretty bad on the inside and I think that was caused by the camber/toe problem. Ultimately led to this tire failure, me thinks..