Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X

Too much negative rear camber - springs, shock absorbers or bushings?

I am sure many 9-5 estate / wagon owners experienced this in the past or will have this issue in the future. The problem is there is too much negative rear camber, especially with the Aero sport suspension.

Is this caused by worn-out springs, shock absorbers and/or suspension bushings? I replaced springs and shocks on a previous 2005 9-5 Aero wagon and it improved the camber. At least visually, I never had it professionally checked.

I don't mind spending the money to correct the problem but am I curious what the most common cause is. I am thinking of starting with replacing the springs and shocks but wouldn't mind saving money if either the springs or shocks don't need to be replaced. Not sure if replacing the bushings is a job the average home mechanic should attempt. FixMySaab: Rear Suspension: Intro

There also is the option of adding shims to correct too much negative camber but isn't that a fix without correcting the problem? I am sure the 9-5 didn't leave the factory with too much negative rear camber. All opinions and thoughts are welcome.

I think this is mostly an estate/wagon issue or does it also happen with the sedans?

Name:  rear-camber.jpg
Views: 4141
Size:  69.1 KB

Renato Piereck
    Spreading the Saab virus rpiereck's Avatar
    Saab(s)
    '00 9-5 Aero SC, 87 900i 8v
    Springs and shocks shouldn't affect the camber that much, I imagine bushings, perhaps even a worn out wheel bearing, is it noisy?
    Now: '00 Saab 9-5 Aero Combi - '89 Peugeot 205 CTI - '91 Peugeot 309 GTI
    Gone: '87 Saab 900i - '95 Saab 900 SE Turbo

Frank
    Saab(s)
    It seems the common thought is the rear springs wear out and compress too much, not being able to support the weight of the car enough. Others think the shock absorbers wear out and can not keep the car level anymore. But that seems unlikely because they only absorb shocks, right? Even without shock absorbers, the springs should be able to keep the car at the same height. Or do they provide some kind of leveling?

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    Frank that's what my car's back tries look like. I have read that the problem is first the bushings and second a design flaw with the lowered suspension. It is fine if you never put anything in the back of the wagon... But that's what there made for... That's ware the shims come int play.
    The shims account for the loss of camber from the bushings from use. Link FixMySaab: Rear Suspension: Intro
    There are a few other sites that talk about it too.
    I ordered the bushings form http://www.thesaabsite.com/95/Saab-9...r.html#linkbar
    It was around $150 for 6 bushings and 4 shims delivered in the US. (I had a buddy pick them up in Port Huron)
    You will need 2 big bushings (#11) and 4 of the same smaller ones (# 8 or 12)
    I plan on using a balljoint press to get them in and out.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Thanks Finding41, I am curious to see if this will completely correct the problem without having to replace the springs and shocks. How many KMs are on your 9-5?

Marty Jackson
    Saab(s)
    Sadly a Volvo XC90
    177 on the 03 and 361 on the 04 I just picked up today! It's camber doesn't look as bad as the 03...? So far.
    I can't see how the shock would affect the caster or camber. If the shock fails and the spring breaks the tire would increase in + or - camber. Ie; \ / the top going out.
    I can't remember from auto shop all those years ago.
    I know worn bushings will affect everything.
    When I got my 03 the inside of the rear tires were so cupped the steel belts were showing! So were the front! They must have been on the back before. I should have taken pictures.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    06' 9-5 Sportcombi, 06' Sport Sedan
    Frank on my wagon I was able to correct the camber with spring spacers and some Bilsteins. On the Sedan I just used some camber shims from GS.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Spring spacers? I like the idea of that. The more I read and think about it, shims to adjust the camber without correcting the ride height doesn't seem to make much sense. You're just correcting the problem and not the cause. Bushings are still a probability but adjusting the ride height with spring spacers seems to be the best and easiest to try first.

This is an interesting Google site that discusses the problem and describes all possible solutions: https://sites.google.com/site/saabfa...ible-solutions

I found these spring spacers on eBay: Saab 9 5 Rear Coil Spring Spacer Kit 3 56mm IGN3TECH | eBay

What kind of spring spacers did you use and where did you get them from? How much did you add?

Frank
    Saab(s)
    I measured the height from the bottom of the rim to the bottom of the fenders and they are actually not much off as they look like. According to the data found in the WIS, front should be 10mm higher than the rear. This is what i measured (in mm):

FL: 595 FR: 600
    RL: 585 RR: 580

The data from the WIS for 2003 shows Front = 620mm and Rear = 610mm. Perhaps measured in a different way? Or my front is sagging as well. The other adjustment data shows camber info anywhere between 580 and 640 for the sports chassis. I wish I could measure the camber myself.

Wheel alignment data - Saab 9-5.pdf
    Measure Ride Height - Saab 9-5.pdf

It would be interesting to see height measurements from other Aero owners. I'll jack up the car tomorrow and see if lifting the rear with 20 mm will make a noticeable visual difference in camber. If not, using spring spacers probably won't be much help.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    06' 9-5 Sportcombi, 06' Sport Sedan
    Hey Frank on my wife's sedan the rear was squatting but I did have some camber issues so I installed shims from GS to bring it back into spec. If the rear does start to sag then I will get some spring spacers.

On my wagon it was sagging about 1/2 so I installed 1" spacers from Jeff (https://sites.google.com/site/jjjperformance/) to fix the sag and camber in one shot. Also now the back of the car can take a load without rubbing my tires.

Jeff is good people to deal with.

Jeff also has had great luck on installing Monroe's on the rear with spring spacers for customers. He says he has had no issues with MOnroe's at all. I have them on the front of my wife's car and they rock, just like oem.

Good luck Frank!